Integrated CD Player/Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ws toying with the idea of performing further upgrades to my (already overburdened) CD Player and building a Preamp around the DACT CT101 modules. Looking at some of the DIY players about got me thinking about integrating these two goals and putting it all in one box (with transformers in a separate box to reduce noise).

I am a one source kinda guy, so would not need any spare inputs or input switching.

I will probably use the CDM12 mech from Steinaudio, this looks pretty simple to get started with but with enough performance headroom to not require complete replacement in the future. Do Steinaudio still supply this, their website looks a little neglected.

Does this sound like a worthwhile project? Also, is it achievable for a relative beginner (I have made some simple mods to my current CDP, and I built an amp based on PCBs from Avondale)?

Thanks,

Ed

I have had some more thoughts on this which may help explain some of my thinking. First I have decided to scrap the one source idea and go for something a little more interesting.

I plan to have 3 preamp inputs on the back, and two SP/DIF ins, each selectable by a 6 position rotary switch on the front. This will allow me to run digital TV and a games console into the unit using the internal DAC while also allowing a tuner and phono stage to be run straight into the Preamp.

Using the CT101 will keep the size down enough (I hope) so that the whole thing will fit into a 2U standard size case (which I will build myself, I envisage a metal front plate with leather bound side panels...).

So I can get a better idea of the complexity and cost of this project, can anyone recommend a good DAC circuit which will do justice to the CDPro2? The icing on the cake would be the ability to decode 24/192KHz sources as well, but I accept that this may be a project for another day (when I have some experience with SMT soldering).

For the PSU I am currently looking at running the display from the PSU described on the daisy laser site, the servos and digital circuitry on the CDPro from an Andy Weekes super regulator and the preamp from either a white noise Cascode supply or two more super regs. The dac psu I will need to spec once I decide on a design.

Finally, has anyone used Front Panel Express for cases? They look like a great source of custom built panels and their software is excellent.

Cheers,

Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.