Stuck as a Duck on the Doede Dac! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2003, 12:56 PM   #1
Lucas_G is offline Lucas_G  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Stuck as a Duck on the Doede Dac!

Dear Dac builders,

I had completed the Doede TDA 1543 DAC a while ago.

http://www.dddac.de/ma_dac21.htm

However, It does not what it is supposed to do.

It is quiet when no digital SPDIFF signal comes in, but as soon as I feed it with some digital data, it starts making a high frequency noise, in which you can faintly hear some parts of the music in the background. The louder the digital signal, the louder the fuzzy noise...

I have tried everything I could in the past week.
I also asked Doede some questions, but he prefers not to go into detail - which is his good right, of course. He never promised anybody to give support on his design....

Now, I am very much hoping that someone else can give advice.

All measurements with my multimeter seem to be ok.
I get 5.04 Volts on VBD and VBA1.
With VBAdjust on 1.25 kOhm I get 7.5 Volt at VBA2.

Here is the scheme:
http://www.dddac.de/pics/dddac1543/pcb1543.gif

I have two questions:

1. In some older schemes, Doede mentions 10 nF caps at the SPDIFF In and Ground. On later schemes he uses 100 nF caps (so that is what I used). Could it be that the use of 100 nf instead of 10 nF is responsible for the fuzz?

2. I did solder all the chips straight in the pcb (except for the Tent clock). I used a 20 Watt soldering iron, and I worked quickly... Is the CS8412 extremely sensitive to heat?

Any suggestions extremely appreciated!!!!

Regards,

Lucas
Old 8th December 2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The CS8412 is not very sensitive to heat, the surface mount version CS8414 survived my punishment with a 25W solderingiron.

The change from 10nF to 100nF isn't your problem I think. But how many TDA1543 you're using?

-I would suggest to try things first without the extra clock. So connecting the CS8412 directly to your DAC's.

-Also what is your spdiff connection, optical or electrical?

-is the output of pin 26 of the CS8412 steady? (data line)
Old 8th December 2003, 02:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I observed similar behaviour yesterday in my DAC, when the ground connection from external clock to the DAC board was missing. After connecting ground it was fine.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 8th December 2003, 02:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

But I haven't even started yet?
Old 8th December 2003, 04:37 PM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Stuck as a Duck on the Doede Dac!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucas_G
2. I did solder all the chips straight in the pcb (except for the Tent clock). I used a 20 Watt soldering iron, and I worked quickly... Is the CS8412 extremely sensitive to heat?
Heat sensitive? More than usually for an IC? Don't think so. It's plain silicone. 250 deg C for 10 seconds in owen is OK.

I would not very heat sensitive
Old 8th December 2003, 05:23 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco
The CS8412 is not very sensitive to heat, the surface mount version CS8414 survived my punishment with a 25W solderingiron.

The change from 10nF to 100nF isn't your problem I think. But how many TDA1543 you're using?

-I would suggest to try things first without the extra clock. So connecting the CS8412 directly to your DAC's.

-Also what is your spdiff connection, optical or electrical?

-is the output of pin 26 of the CS8412 steady? (data line)

Hi Taco,

I am using 8 dacs in a tower. I could adjust the voltage to 8.5 V and the output CD to 3.5, just like Doede recommends...

I tried both ways. I have a switch with which I can toggle all three switches at once: either all three closed or open.

I use an electrical SPDIFF. The inner pole connected to the SPDIFF in pin. The outer pole connected to the D-gound, next to the 12 Volt plus in for the Digital domain. I also fitted a 75 Ohm resistor between these two poles.

How can I know whether the ouput of pin 26 of the CD8412 is steady? Can I meusure it?

Thanks!

Lucas.
Old 8th December 2003, 06:23 PM   #7
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If you measure a stable voltage without great fluctuations then it's oke.

But like Peter said it could also be a ground problem. Have you measured if all the components that should be connected to ground have a low resistance? Are the digital and analog ground connected together?

And have you bypassed the clock, to eliminate that possibility?
Old 8th December 2003, 09:19 PM   #8
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Default Bring out the fans...

Your DAC-chips are overheating, use a fan and / or reduce voltage to 7+...

Arne K
Old 9th December 2003, 01:37 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think it's overheating, too. Also, check the way you built the DAC tower. Did you stick copper foil to the top of each dac and ground them all together?

I have Doede's board, too. Still have not started the work yet. Am thinking a good way to build the tower. Probably I will make my own PCB. Piggyback two 1543 together as a set then mount them on both sides of the PCB. Two sets on top, two sets on the bottom.
Old 9th December 2003, 07:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by finneybear
I think it's overheating, too. Also, check the way you built the DAC tower. Did you stick copper foil to the top of each dac and ground them all together?

I have Doede's board, too. Still have not started the work yet. Am thinking a good way to build the tower. Probably I will make my own PCB. Piggyback two 1543 together as a set then mount them on both sides of the PCB. Two sets on top, two sets on the bottom.
I took small pieces of aluminium (6 mm wide, 10 mm long, 2 mm thick) which I glued on top of each 1543. This gave me a tower of appr. 7 cm lenght. On the sides I glued two strips of 10 mm width and 10 cm lenght.

Actually it does cool quite well. I stick two larger heatsinks on the sidebars for extra cooling. Then the temp stays well below 40 degrees Celsius.

If it were a matter of heat, it should perform well during the first minutes, shouldn't it?

I am now also contemplating to make my own pcb (a kind of veroboard) with p2p wiring. Your idea of 4 times 2 tda's appeals to me...

Also, I would never again solder the chips straight on the PCB; When there are problems (such as I have now) one keeps asking himself whether the chips themseves are still ok...

Regards,

Lucas.

Hide this!Advertise here!