Marantz CD63 skips CD-R's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CD63 Skipping

If it skips at nominally the same point on each disc, it's more likely to be the laser sled drive, rather than laser itself.

A common problem on CD63's is dust / muck getting onto the gears that drive the laser sled - it's a worm drive to a gear wheel. It's the latter part that gets clogged, casing the disc to skip.

Sometimes operating skip between the first and last tracks of a CD can cure it.

Failing that just dismantle and clean the offending parts, applying some suitable (graphite-based?) lubricant that's safe for plastics.

While you're in there clean and lubricated the guide rod at one side of the sled and the bearing surface at the other side.

It fixed every one that I did.

Andy.

This must be it

Hi

After a year of playing CD-Rs just fine, my CD63 has begin to skip approx at the middle of the CDs.
What to do?

If your CD player has no problems with original CDs, then it has to be your CD-Rs burned at high speeds. The pits on the CD don't form well enough when recorded at high speeds and in most cases this is the sole cause for a CD-R not being able to be read in a CD player. Next time you burn a CD, try burning it at 8x or 4x and your CD player should sing your tune :)

Have fun listening.....:cool:

I'm glad you could sort it out. I have same had the same problem with my CD63 and have cleaned both the lens and the gears and slide a couple of times and am now sick and tired of doing so :mad: .
I would like to know if there is a better transport mechanism that I can replace the Philips CDM12 with?

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Hello,

I have a used transport/optical assembly from a Marantz CD63 that I will sell or trade.

It works fine on CDR discs. It does have some sound deadening material applied to the sides and top of the transport( this is a good thing) and the only through hole cap on the board has been replaced with an Elna Cerafine.

I can take & post pics if needed.

Regards

KevinLee:)

I removed and partially stripped down the transport mechanism last night, cleaned the lens, the worm gear together with the straight cut gear. Lubed them as well as the slide on the far side. Refitted them and tested as per service manual which Pedja kindly organised for me. I could see what the problem is and it is not as bad anymore (no skipping, jumping etc). As the laser transport tracks up and down its path one can see it sticking slightly at the same place everytime. After a while of doing this it gets smoother. I left it that. It sounds ok. I am going to give Ken Ishiwata a talking to about putting this cheap and nasty Philips transport into one of his players. I have the model cdm12.1/05 on my transport.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.