Tweaking an ESI Juli@ XTe card - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
SGK is online now SGK
diyAudio Member

Default Tweaking an ESI Juli@ XTe card

Howdy

With a lot of help and guidance from "Greg from Mississippi" I've begun exploring the digital section of my ESI Juli@ XTe card (PICe version) with a view to (1) soldering a direct connection to an RCA jack for S/PDIF Out (done), (2) powering the card independently of the motherboard, (3) upgrading the clocks and (4) possible other upgrades. I'm wondering if anyone here has modified the digital side of the XTe version of this card.

I've done quite a lot of work tracing most of the key parts and voltages on this card. In many ways it is similar to the older PCI card but in others it's different. The card draws both 12V and 3.3V from the motherboard. -12V is produced on the digital section of the card but appears to only be used on the analogue part of the card. In addition, 5V (DVCC) is generated from the 12V (UA9). It too is passed to the analogue portion of the card. Annoyingly, the 5V appears to be used by UA7 on side A of the digital part of the card (and also for the optical out which I care less about). Were it not for this, I'd probably try disconnecting the 12V completely. Lastly, 1.8V is generated from the 3.3V (UA8).

Here's a couple of pics of the card with my notations. Directly beneath each is a download link to a high-resolution version of the same image. The last link is a high-resolution version of side A of the card which shows the traces more clearly.

Side B

Click the image to open in full size.

High-res image

Side A

Click the image to open in full size.

High-res image

Side A traces

For the clock upgrade, I am likely going to use one of Fidelity Audio's micro clocks

Fidelity Audio : C3 Low Jitter Premium clock Micro clock 2 dual output for squeezeboxes

The pictures above mark the capacitors and resistors which need to be removed along with each oscillator (Y1 and Y2). Each of the oscillators has an output voltage of 1.4V (although on one end of my Y1 oscillator was measuring 1.3V).

I've also marked the points on side B of the card for direct wiring for S/PDIF out in order to avoid the breakout cable.

I suspect the best entry points for direct power is intervention via the riser cable.

Anyone else looked at this card in detail? I'm a novice and would appreciate any pointers!

Regards

Steve

Last edited by SGK; 30th June 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 9th August 2013, 11:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello SGK,

How is you project going?

I about to purchase a Juli@ Xte and modify it to use the MIDI IO connections directly to chassi jacks by soldering wires. Do you know if the pins are accessible on the bottom side of the PCB at the breakout connector?

I've searched a while for a PCIe card with MIDI, ASIO2 and balanced output. I hope ESI will work for me.

Regards
Holger, Sweden
Old 27th August 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
SGK is online now SGK
diyAudio Member

I haven't made a lot of progress to be honest. I'm not at all an electronics expert. With help from Greg in Mississippi I soldered a direct connection to a 75 Ohm RCA socket from the part marked HanRun. I have marked some of the terminals on the underside of EXT I/O but I was only tracing for S/PDIF.
Old 7th November 2013, 07:03 PM   #4
SGK is online now SGK
diyAudio Member

I upgraded the clocks on this card by removing Y1 and Y2 and their associated capacitors and resistors and replacing them with a Micro Clock 2 from Fidelity Audio in the UK (which I power with 12V). A very worthwhile upgrade.

Hide this!Advertise here!