Studying the Denon DCD-810 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2013, 08:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Lumbermatt
Default Studying the Denon DCD-810

Hi,

Iím actually studying the structure of the dcd-810 looking at some improvements I could do, and Iím facing some interrogations.

The DCD-810 is basically constituted of an SM5807 low pass filter (4 fold oversampling filter). The serial stream is directed to 2 PCM56H (one for each channel) DACs. On the output of each DAC, thereís a sample&hold circuit.

The S&H is constituted of a demuxer which loads a styroflex capacitor (470pF) with the current output of the DAC. The demuxer is driven by the deglitch signal of the SM5807.

As far as this is a dual DAC architecture, I canít figure out why this S&H circuit is needed. On an mono-DAC (both L and R samples are alternatively proceeded by the DAC) I can understand the need of S&H when a sample of the other channel is proceeded.

The PCM56 datasheet is clear about this :
Quote:
The obvious solution to the phase shift problem in a two- channel system would be to use two D/A converters (one per channel) and time the outputs to change simultaneously. [Ö] It should be noted that no deglitching circuitry is required on the DAC output to meet specified THD performance. This means that when one PCM56 is used per channel, the need for all the sample/hold and controls circuitry associated with a single DAC (two-channel) design is effectively eliminated.
So why Denon kept the S&H circuitery even if not needed ?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 9th July 2013, 07:03 AM   #2
canvas is offline canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

That's a very good question. My Monarchy Audio 18b DAC is based on 2 x AD1860. It does not have deglitching circuitry.
Old 9th July 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

i have a dcd-800, which has just the one pcm56.
Bought it cheap long ago for it's dac. If you would like to compare, you can have it cheap too. Maybe you live near me (bit north of Aachen).

I did not use the dac, as i needed a pcm54 or 55. The dac lists on the net are incorrect for the dcd-800.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:16 PM   #4
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

Sure that that S&H circuit isn't really just an op-amp low pass filter circuit? In any event, I did this vacuum tube circuit in a CD player that used PCM56's. Sounds quite good.
Click the image to open in full size.
And everyone I guess by now has seen my web page
Modifying CD player DAC circuits

Hide this!Advertise here!