Sony KSS 165 A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My discman SONY D 250 bought in the 80's has some trouble : CD is turning, optical block is moving , lense is gowing up and down but after few seconds CD stops. I think the system cannot focus because the laser beam is too weak.
Tjhe optical block is a KSS-165A.
Does somebody know where I can buy that item ?
If it is obsolete, is it possible to change only the laser diode itself ?

Here attached some pictures of theKSS165A. The "pot" you mean is it that one circled in red on the 2nd picture ?

Attachments

• KSS165A_pic1.jpg
    KSS165A_pic1.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 182
  • KSS165A_pic2.JPG
    KSS165A_pic2.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 249
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The last three digits of the pickup serial number show the correct (original) current. Is it 419 ? That would be 41.9 milliamps and is checked by measuring the volt drop across a resistor in the laser power circuit on the main PCB and calculating the current. If it is higher than stated by 10% or more then the laser has deteriorated.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes it is 419. I checked the current - as stipulated in the service manual - and I found 41.7 mA which is inside the tolerance (41.9 +/- 10 percent). Therefore the laser diode seems to be OK but - compared to another CD player - the laser beam is very weak.

That reading is spot on. The visible light from these lasers is very dim, most of the emission is in the near infra red. That's why you can't "see" it. If you could then it would be very bright indeed. One reason you shouldn't look to closely at close range.

That doesn't help your problem though... all it does is show the actual laser diode is OK. If it had been duff it would have been case closed :)

So as it stands there could still be problems with the pickup as a whole.

Next step (as you mention it does spin a disc at the start) would be to look at the RF signal for amplitude and quality.

(From an economics point of view repairing this doesn't really make sense... you can buy a new player for a fraction of the cost of a new pickup... and it will be an all round better performer too)

On the picture the laser beam of a DVD/CDplayer is clearly defined. But the laser beam of my discman D-250 is practically unvisible. If the laser is OK what could be the reason of the weakness of the beam ?

Attachments

• Laser beam DVD player.jpg
    Laser beam DVD player.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 108
  • Laser beam D-250.jpg
    Laser beam D-250.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 85
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its in my last post :) Its because the wavelength of the laser light is 780nm on early CD players and around 650nm on ordinary DVD players. Look at this chart which shows the response of the eye. The CD player at 780nm is off scale and should really be invisible to the eye... and it almost is. You just see a tiny dull red pinprick glow.

Attachments

• Wavelength.JPG
    Wavelength.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 70
You can't judge a laser by current alone. You have to judge by optical power output AND current drain. If it takes 20% more current to get to 0.1mW(0.15mW for older, and 0.24mW for REALLY older lasers) measured optical power, then the laser diode is dying.

I think I may have a KSS-165 or 221 in my old inventory, maybe more than one, but I'd have to dig around. PM me to remind me to look when I'm at my shop. Although I can't imagine why you'd want to invest any money/effort on this particular unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.