How easy to install a KSS-213C mechanism? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
copydex is offline copydex  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default How easy to install a KSS-213C mechanism?

Maybe a bit of a novice question but I have a Yamaha CD player that is temperamental at reading discs due to a weak laser, I think, and have a brand new Sony KSS 213CCM mechanism(complete with a brand new laser) to replace the old one. I was wondering how easy it is to remove the old mechanism and fit the new one, and how much disassembly is required? Pictures of the internals of the Yamaha player can be found at the link below, to give you an idea, so any tips on how to approach things would be appreciated. The cost of taking it to a tech to do far outweighs the value of the player, so thought this might be a good one to start on some DIY for myself (wont be losing much if I kill it completely!).

YAMAHA CDX-E100 : ???????????
Old 19th June 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
SonyES is offline SonyES  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looking at that mech it doesn't look to difficult to remove, a few screws and cables to uncouple and it should come out
Take photos as you go and make a guide of it, it will prove useful to others
Old 20th June 2013, 06:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

To start with, pull out the one or two flat cables that r connected to the mechanism and observe its orientation. Sometimes/mostly, u have to remove the screws and lift the mech.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 20th June 2013, 07:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks - will have a go at it in the next couple of days.
Old 20th June 2013, 07:51 AM   #5
pilli is offline pilli  France
diyAudio Member

I remember one point of attention: new laser assemblies sometimes need to have a solder bridge removed; this is "closed" for protection reasons, but must be "opened" for the laser to function.

This is documented in several threads;
in this document you have an explanation and also some pictures.

Maybe you knew this already, but just in case...

_
Old 21st June 2013, 07:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks - the mechanism description mentioned the solder point you refer to but its good to get clear instructions on the removal.
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for the information.

Did the install yesterday: unplugged from power with the tray in the open position reveals two screws at rear of mechanism, undoing these releases mechanism, and two screws to remove from above to take out the disc clamp. With these both out, the hardest part is then removing the power block from the underside of the mech, and the ribbon connector from the back(not much space for fat fingers). Fitted new one (after removing the solder blob from static point) taking care to note orientation of ribbon was correct and reconnected power block, screwed everything back together, powered up and hey presto, instant reading of disc and much quieter operation. Reads TOC of CDRs but wont play them for some reason, though I'm not sure it ever did, and as I only have a very few this is not much of an issue.

Thanks again for the help/advice, feel very pleased to have got it working again. Sorry no photos, hopefully the description might aid others.
Old 22nd June 2013, 08:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
As this unit is an older Sony and chip set design, it will read CDR's that are -R and not the common +R disks. If it were Hitachi then the opposite would be the case.
A Betamax verses VHS syndrome still existed 10years ago!.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice. It was actually a CD-R that I had been trying ( a couple, in fact) but following your advice I gathered together the few I have (they total about 15) and tried them all. It wont play the TDK branded ones I have for some reason but will play the Imation, Fuji and Kodak ones. I burnt the TDK ones myself, the other 3 were ones a friend did for me so I had digital versions of vinyl LPs I own to play in the car, so not sure if it is the disks that are the problem or a burning related one.
Old 22nd June 2013, 03:23 PM   #10
yajnaS is offline yajnaS  India
diyAudio Member

I presume you've already been through this: Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by copydex View Post
so not sure if it is the disks that are the problem or a burning related one.
Its probably a bit of both. An old CD burner (with a weak laser) will burn some brands of CD clearly, but with some other brands you get a CD that plays in a new CD player but an old CD player won't track it... combination of incompletely burned CD and weak read laser on the drive.

Last edited by yajnaS; 22nd June 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!