How easy to install a KSS-213C mechanism?

Maybe a bit of a novice question but I have a Yamaha CD player that is temperamental at reading discs due to a weak laser, I think, and have a brand new Sony KSS 213CCM mechanism(complete with a brand new laser) to replace the old one. I was wondering how easy it is to remove the old mechanism and fit the new one, and how much disassembly is required? Pictures of the internals of the Yamaha player can be found at the link below, to give you an idea, so any tips on how to approach things would be appreciated. The cost of taking it to a tech to do far outweighs the value of the player, so thought this might be a good one to start on some DIY for myself (wont be losing much if I kill it completely!).

YAMAHA CDX-E100 : ???????????

I remember one point of attention: new laser assemblies sometimes need to have a solder bridge removed; this is "closed" for protection reasons, but must be "opened" for the laser to function.

This is documented in several threads;
in this document you have an explanation and also some pictures.

Maybe you knew this already, but just in case...

_

Thanks again for the information.

Did the install yesterday: unplugged from power with the tray in the open position reveals two screws at rear of mechanism, undoing these releases mechanism, and two screws to remove from above to take out the disc clamp. With these both out, the hardest part is then removing the power block from the underside of the mech, and the ribbon connector from the back(not much space for fat fingers). Fitted new one (after removing the solder blob from static point) taking care to note orientation of ribbon was correct and reconnected power block, screwed everything back together, powered up and hey presto, instant reading of disc and much quieter operation. Reads TOC of CDRs but wont play them for some reason, though I'm not sure it ever did, and as I only have a very few this is not much of an issue.

Thanks again for the help/advice, feel very pleased to have got it working again. Sorry no photos, hopefully the description might aid others.

Thanks for the advice. It was actually a CD-R that I had been trying ( a couple, in fact) but following your advice I gathered together the few I have (they total about 15) and tried them all. It wont play the TDK branded ones I have for some reason but will play the Imation, Fuji and Kodak ones. I burnt the TDK ones myself, the other 3 were ones a friend did for me so I had digital versions of vinyl LPs I own to play in the car, so not sure if it is the disks that are the problem or a burning related one.

I presume you've already been through this: Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives ?

so not sure if it is the disks that are the problem or a burning related one.

Its probably a bit of both. An old CD burner (with a weak laser) will burn some brands of CD clearly, but with some other brands you get a CD that plays in a new CD player but an old CD player won't track it... combination of incompletely burned CD and weak read laser on the drive.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As this unit is an older Sony and chip set design, it will read CDR's that are -R and not the common +R disks. If it were Hitachi then the opposite would be the case.
A Betamax verses VHS syndrome still existed 10years ago!.

You might be thinking of DVD formats and the - and + versions.

Recordable CDR comes in only two varieties, CD-R (record once) and CD-RW (reuseable).

Any player should really play good CDR's but its possible the discs aren't burned well. Try some burnt on another PC, and also contrary to popular belief, burning at higher speeds x18, x25 etc can give better results than low speeds such as x4.

Other solder blocks in KSS-213C

I remember one point of attention: new laser assemblies sometimes need to have a solder bridge removed; this is "closed" for protection reasons, but must be "opened" for the laser to function.

This is documented in several threads;
in this document you have an explanation and also some pictures.

Maybe you knew this already, but just in case...

_

Hey, I was deeply looking into how the photodiode works and I realised that there are 2 more solder blocks. I was wondering if I needed to remove them before connecting the CD reader.