Mitsubishi DP-105 CD Player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2013, 08:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mitsubishi DP-105 CD Player

I have this player with a service manual. It has a stuck transport mechanism and just displays an "E" in the display when trying to play a CD. After taking the cover off it appears the tray is jamming and catching on the top "spinner" plate that holds the CD in place and presses against the motor turntable below.
I have tried to adjust that upper plate but it just doesn't seem to have any adjustment or enough "lift" high enough to clear the plastic tray assembly. It just catches there as it retracts and stops movement. I can't figure out what might be the cause of this.
I thought maybe someone here would have some ideas on getting this to operate smoothly so I can move on to further tests!
Attached is a photo of the top plate...hopefully these transport are a common fix and similar to many other mechanism's
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2700.jpg (915.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 15th June 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Can't ever recall working on a Mitzi player before.

Only things I could suggest would be belts, and that they are failing to lift/lower the mech properly, or dried hardened grease thats doing the same. Micro switches on many players can be troublesome but wouldn't normally cause "mechanical" issues. Could the mech be "timing sensitive" and the tray has got out of sync ?

Really a case of very careful inspection/dismantling and winding the motors by hand to see whats (not) happening.
Old 16th June 2013, 08:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly for a reply.
I've never seen a Mitsubishi CD player before either...but I got this from a friend who had it laying around and the service manual was $10, so I thought what the heck...see if I can resurrect it for some fun.
I think my next step to remove the 4 main base transport bolts that hold it onto the chassis and see if I can detect a problem underneath the tray mechanism. There are no belts visible and so far no reference to any in the service manual. It may be some sort of clearance adjustment because there is a figure in the SM that shows that....it's unclear how that gets adjusted but hopefully I can figure it out...
Old 16th June 2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Careful dismantling and inspection has to be the first line of attack. I'd be surprised if there were no belts tbh, not least because they are a safeguard for the mech/motors/motor driver etc. I seem to recall Mitzi videos being a bit unique and oddball many years ago so you'll have to see what you find.
Old 16th June 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The tray appears to be gear driven by a motor that does nothing else, so the clamp is either cam-driven from the tray, or more likely has its own motor. From the design of the tray I guess the disc should be lifted up by the same mechanism that lifts the clamp.

I don't recognise the mech. It could be the clamper's cam has seized, or the grease has set hard.

Hide this!Advertise here!