CDP-555ES Spindle motor not spinning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys, newbie here!
I wonder if you might be able to help me troubleshoot a poorly CDP-555ESD.
Firstly, the laser appears to be in good shape its the BU1-E transport, I have physically seen a dot in the upper lens which would indicate its at least operational.
The problem I am having though is the spindle motor will not move whatsoever not even with a little help manually, it will not spin at all.
I am getting the following at the following points of the coils which seem to match up with the CDP-337ESD I also have:

Resistance value of 13ohms 26ohms and 39ohms on the 3 copper strands to the right side of the pcb measuring from one of the left side double copper strands.
I have continuity throughout the copper coils.
At the main power input to the board CNP151 I am getting:
10V at +10 -10V at -10 so power "seems" to be getting that far.

A few things that I'm unsure how to check for faults on though one being IC5151 = Toshiba TA7256P (8728K), there seems to be continuity on all pins.

After this I'm unsure where to start so I am open to any and all suggestions.
It is running through the motions of lining up the laser it just doesn't seem to spin the motor.

Many thanks

Stuart

Now for some bizzare reason the eject is no longer working, any help tracking down what ic controls the loading motor sequence or is there anyone prepared to take a look, really would like to see this in the land of the living again.
Since my last post the eject wont function and the focus on the laser is also no longer running through a sequence, what controls these components?

Many thanks

Stuart

With some help from stevensank with this have found some components that are not behaving as they should do one being a ICP-F38 microfuse thats not letting voltage go to the rest of the circuits, parts ordered so all being well some more life might come out of this player!

As long as they are ok to be replaced with these the component suggested, i didnt know or not if the original values were important or not, board they have gone on is the power board, I found a chassis screw inside the machine when I first took it apart so I believe this was part of the cause.
Here is a screengrab of the area:

Attachments

• 21dq05.jpg
    21dq05.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 21dq05-2.jpg
    21dq05-2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Fab, i'll get some ordered and replace all 4, no sense in leaving the other 3 different values!
Think i'll leave all the mainboard stuff unplugged and test that board independently in-case it blows again, its all good fun this circuitry malarky!
Those dq06's even at 25 minimum order work out £1 more than the minimum 5 at cpc, so at least i would have spares!

Last edited:
Thanks for your inputs so far, awaiting parts currently!
Got the power board components replaced faulty ones but hesitant to test them in case any other parts blow them out as the traffos are hardwired to the mainboard.

bit of a wait on some ICP-F38 x 2 and some TA7256P's in case any have gone after fuses are replaced.

Stu

ICP F38 fuses replaced, I have some motor functions back now, namely chucking motor and loading tray, the sled seems to have power but rather than moving inward toward the spindle motor, (I believe this is what it should do when a cd is loading) it seems to be moving outward from powering on the unit.
If I manually move the sled the focus sequence seems to trip making the focus laser bob up and down and I can see the laser dot.

I'm starting to think its the TA7256P chips or something to do with them, one of them is so warm to the touch on the heatsink it could burn you, where the other isn't all that hot.
IC203 (temperature now measured its well over 83 degrees centigrade) seems to be the focus tracking coil controller according to the schematics, would it getting hot be something feeding it? or the chip itself telling me its knackered!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its not normal to be hot like that. You need to check all the inputs to the chip and look at what the outputs are doing. For example if its being "told" to drive (say) a motor and that motor is jammed against its end stop then both chip and motor would overheat. If it is powering the motor coils of the pickup and putting high voltage across them then that will damage the pickup very quickly.

Thanks for your replies, I had a feeling that temp was to hot which is why its only been switched on for a few seconds if that, sounds like I've got some tracing to do.
The sequence of events in the first few seconds of startup it tries to push the pickup back to its resting point then once the player is off it starts to move back toward the spindle, i'll check the input and output points and report back with voltages.

Stu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At each pin as I turn on the unit briefly 3-4 seconds max enough to take a reading

1 -0.03
2 -0.03
3 -0.03
4 -0.03
5 -10.84 when switched off this drops to -0.80v and slowly dissipates probably down to a capacitor id guess?
6 2.52 as above -0.80v when off and drops
7 2.52
8 2.52
9 2.52
10 10.12

Last edited:
Received replacement TA7256P chips today and replaced the running hot one, still getting hot so that's not the cause of it.
It has to be something between CNP202 main transformer power input and CNP301 as if I unplug all other cnp plugs other than this one the chip gets hot, if i remove that plug it stays cool, so its something in that circuit, another chip that seems to be running hot is the CXA1082A focus/tracking/sled servo, this is around 5-10 seconds after the power goes on.
similar story if i remove the plug that feeds this one from the back of the laser rf board.

service manual can be found here if anyone would like to look over the scematic: SONY CDP-555ESD 705ESD SM 1 Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Could this player "have some history" with the original problem of the failed circuit protectors having been caused by some unexplained event having occurred such as short between rails etc that could have zapped some semiconductors.

its possible, I originally bought the unit off ebay quite cheaply as a bit of a project so if its not to be repaired it can always be used for parts.
Further into the circuit I have found the following.
If I unplug the ribbon cable to the laser diode/sled the large one that goes onto the board on the back of the transport here and plug in the white plug that goes to cnp301, it still heats up one of the chips but not the other, the cxa1082A seems very hot:
992779_10152982260950504_1677640990_n_zps3ee00d36.jpg

Completely removed transport only the cxa1082a heats up.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.