Krell SACD Standard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Need some help getting my SACD back to working conditions.
It has stopped reading any CDs or SACD.
I can hear it spins Up(Display shows READ) for a short period then stops starts over and same stop again.After approx 15-20sec it opens CD tray.
Were am i? Laserreplacement or any adjustment?
Lens is cleaned from dust.
Hope for some helpful hints.

Regards,

Added Info

Left Pot measures 348 Ohm

Right Pot measures 998 Ohm.

Attachments

• DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 499
You can add Marantz SA-12 to that list above as well, they all have the smd 200 odd pin MACE and FURORE chips mounted on the board that is attached to the bottom of the transport, these chips are doomed to failure after they are powered up, it can take days weeks or months, but it will eventually happen and there's no fix for it, it's almost like they generate their own virus that kill them off slowly. Philips now does not even reconize it as their product now.
Cheers George

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Similar experience with a PS Audio Lamba Drive (CD only) which used a Philips mechanism.. I've worked very hard at avoiding anything using Philips mechanisms since. These days I'm mostly PC based for digital and my SACD player a Sony SCD-777ES is only used sporadically. (Analog is still my mainstay..)

The cases are good for diy projects..

The drive depends on the version of the SACD standard you own. The mark I and mark II used the Philips transport, but the mark III uses a Raymedia device. I have the mark III and it is giving the endless problems with the drawer mechanism opening when trying to read a disc, and CD (but not SACD) replay abruptly stopping for no apparent reason. I imagine I will eventually have to replace the drive. Does anyone know where to source one of these?

I know this is an Old post but thought I would share some info for those who have Krell Mark III's. Over last 12 years have used this player very extensively. Lately it started getting real fussy and having hard time reading SACD layers on Hybrid discs or not recognizing discs at all and having to fight with it. Purchased a Raymedia laser head unit went to 100% not working. Out of frustration starting comparing old head with new head. There was a solder blob that connected 3 pads on the PCB. It looked like been removed on original that was in the Krell. So I removed that blob with my solder sucker and bingo!! now my Krell Mark III works like a brand new unit.

I know this is an Old post but thought I would share some info for those who have Krell Mark III's. Over last 12 years have used this player very extensively. Lately it started getting real fussy and having hard time reading SACD layers on Hybrid discs or not recognizing discs at all and having to fight with it. Purchased a Raymedia laser head unit went to 100% not working. Out of frustration starting comparing old head with new head. There was a solder blob that connected 3 pads on the PCB. It looked like been removed on original that was in the Krell. So I removed that blob with my solder sucker and bingo!! now my Krell Mark III works like a brand new unit.
Can i ask where do you source the raymedia laser unit? . My sacdmk3 is having problems and cost too much to send back to Krell.
Quan

Static protection? Huh... well I guess that makes sense. Wish I knew about that or there was a note with the part. I spent like 2 hours trying to figure out why the SADCD player was not working. Also on the original laser unit there was also some cut traces and missing a surface mount part. I left that issue alone, on the new part. I purchased the laser unit on ebay. There is a couple of people selling replacement units. Just do a search for RL-S881

I wish there was a way to change the Default play order on a Krell MK3. I would change mine to SACD Multi / SACD 2ch / CD instead of SACD 2ch / CD / SACD Multi. I emailed krell years ago on this issue and they said nothing could be done and that play order was picked to please the 2 channel purists. Seems like that could be changed by some secret key code combination or firmware change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.