XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Actually, i use an Asus Xonar STX with 49990 opamps (i'm interested in this USB DAC for one of my friends) and i find it very satisfying for my taste, i really find it difficult to believe that a <100€ DAC can better it!
My interest is increasing, i'm quite thinking about buying one for myself... i'll try the one for my friend and evaluate a second purchase...

i had STX with 49720 opamps and few mods and for my taste it's a lot better.
there is a difference in soundstage and low end is more detailed. atleast on my setup ( DAC -> Tube preamp -> diy solid state amp -> Fostex Fe206En)

Hi,

... do you solve the buzz with the drivers in windows? will you write some drivers?...

Windows programing is not my favorite one (I'm not very experienced), and I rely on the driver supplied by XMOS. This error does not interfere to pleasure when listening music (this error arose only if one quickly changes Fs. Music does not stop and the solution is to leave the error window).

I received PID i VID numbers from XMOS and permission to distribute the driver. I guess my son will update website with the driver in a week or two.

... i'll need to have optical/coaxial inputs in the standalone DAC i'll realize using your XMOS/AK4396 combination. Is it possible to do?...

It's not possible to do this with one core XMOS processor. One has to use XS1-L2 dual-core XMOS processor, for now I don't plan to do such kind of board.

...Where should i connect the optical/coaxial inputs cable leads on the AK4396 board? ...

You can not do this directly. If you use S/PDIF receiver like DIR9001 you have to multiplex the I2S lines to AK4396.

...More: how could i connect a rotative switch to select between USB and coaxial inputs?...

For this XMOS board you can not connect a rotative switch. There are no more pins to use (most of the pins I use for two things).

PS: On Wednesday I'll start to ship the XMOS boards to first 25 guys (who already paid :) ) from the GB.

Regards,
Joro

Hi,
It's not possible to do this with one core XMOS processor. One has to use XS1-L2 dual-core XMOS processor, for now I don't plan to do such kind of board.

But i was planning to connect coaxial input to AK4396 board, not to XMOS board... hasn't AK4396 board an s/pdif input?

You can not do this directly. If you use S/PDIF receiver like DIR9001 you have to multiplex the I2S lines to AK4396.

You mean something like this http://www.ebay.it/itm/WM8804-S-PDI...S_Stereo_Component_Combos&hash=item19e0b00bff ?
What do i need to multiplex I2S lines and where should i connect them to AK4396 board?

For this XMOS board you can not connect a rotative switch. There are no more pins to use (most of the pins I use for two things).

Couldn't i separate the XMOS and AK4396 boards and connect them by cables instead of the direct, cable-free connections? That way i could send XMOS I2S signal cables and S/PDIF-to-I2S signal cables together to a switch, so i could switch between XMOS and S/PDIF signals before they reach AK4396 board... am i wrong?
In a sketch

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
luca72c, you could use the HC74157 multiplex IC for switching I2S signals as you've shown. If you want to switch the ground as well though you'll need that connection switched by other means (relay, SSR, etc.).

Thanks! But i'm not able to create a board using that chip... i would need something pre-assembled on a PCB...
Anyway, for my needs a simple switch intercepting I2S signal cables should be enough...

Last edited:
Hi,

...But i was planning to connect coaxial input to AK4396 board, not to XMOS board... hasn't AK4396 board an s/pdif input?..

AK4396 board does not have S/PDIF input.

I can't open ebay link. :)

When using manual switch (mechanical) one can lose 352.8kHz, 384kHz and DSD128, and can worse the whole performance. The reason could be increasing capacitance or/and long lines.

I had other questions for multiplexer. I can make one for no more than Euro 12.

Regards,
Joro

I had other questions for multiplexer. I can make one for no more than Euro 12.

Thank you, you're very kind!
If you'll realize that multiplexer, just tell me what i have to do to purchase one together with the other boards i signed for...
About Ebay link, i think i didn't understand how link adding works in this forum: any Ebay link i post is not working when inserted in my posts...
But to be sure you can find the board i linked, just search in Ebay for "WM8804 S/PDIF TOSLINK to IIS Converter I2S Codec Project integration DIY", exact phrase: you can't fail!

Last edited:
Hi

is there a chance that multichannel version will be released in the near future?

I thought about this... For now I haven't got plans to do such board - one of the main reasons is the driver issue - new XMOS driver is a stereo one, if one wants a multichannel driver, he has to connect directly to Thesycon.

...Do you know if your board XMOS/AK4396 works with Raspberry PI (RaspyFi)? ...

I haven't tested on my own. One of my clients run XMOS board and PCM5102 board on Raspberry - the result wasn't very good - there was crackles on higher Fs (Raspberry is not fast enough :( ). The same guy use XMOS and PCM5102 boards with beaglebone black with no problems. As I said I don't have either Raspberry or beaglebone black, so I don't test XMOS board with this computers. If you gonna use it with this kind of computers, you probably have to use external power supply for USB part.

Regards,
Joro

I have a raspberry pi running a waveIO at 192khz without problems. The issue with the pi is that the USB bus is limited to supplying 140mA which just isn't enough to power the external board. Give both the xmos board and the pi a regulated 5v supply and you will get good results.

Just to share in my efforts; I've got an XMOS/AK stack powered by duel Salas shunts. Both with SILMIC II 220uf lytic, tuning for digital use. Pardon the 'low profile' build pattern; I plan to mount all this in a low profile case.

To the sound - very very nice for the price :) The reconstruction filter certainly gives up a bit to a traditional IV, but in other ways... Before calling it done, I'm going to add a JG Buffer. Have to say though, the DSD/PCM performance of this stack with quality power is pretty damn good. Thanks again Joro.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.