Article on Philips prototype digital amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2003, 06:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Article on Philips prototype digital amp

A few years ago (2-4) I read a very interesting article in a hi-fi magazine. It was one or two authors that visited an engineer from Philips. He had developed a digital amplifier (prototype), which worked with 8 different digital amplifiers in parallel per channel. It was fed directly with a DSD signal from a SACD machine. Is there anyone out there that can remember what magazine it's from?
Old 3rd December 2003, 08:20 AM   #2
EDUM is offline EDUM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

There was an article in the German HiFi magazine "Stereoplay" in june 2002 (nr 6) . In this Testspecial "Die neuen Digitalamps-das Aus fuer unsere verstaerker" the Philips PPDSD system was discussed.

In that Philips kitchen a lot of beatiful things are cooking. Unfortunately most of it never gets to the market.
(I heard Philips electrostatic speakers driven by an optical isolated high voltage transistor amplifier!)

Ward
Old 3rd December 2003, 08:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Quick reply I must say

Now I remember, unfortunately I have thrown all og my hifi magazines away last time i moved, so I don't have that issue anymore. If you (or others) could scan the article and attached it here (I donīt now if that is legal?), I would be a happy man.

Brian
Old 3rd December 2003, 12:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Some information is also here: http://www.classd.org/oem_products/p...hilips_dsl.htm and also authors own opinion about it http://audioholics.com/techtips/audi...mplifiers.html.

It really makes you wonder what is behind that 16 transistor UCD amplifier.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman
Old 3rd December 2003, 01:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks again

This is a very fast answering forum. Very good links.

Brian
Old 5th December 2003, 07:35 AM   #6
EDUM is offline EDUM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello Kjeldsen,

I am sorry I can not help you on short notice with a scan, but may be your local libray has it in their magazine area.

Ward
Old 5th December 2003, 12:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default universal class d

seems something cooked with two tl3842 (or similar)a couple of mosfets (2sk2645 or similar) and a ?control circuit?

basic setup is the simpliest switching supply you can think of.

have article yet? if not I'll mail it. BTW search for Bruno Putzeys on internet, you'll find it.

just try this one:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.co.../TDA8924_1.pdf
Old 5th December 2003, 12:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default tda8924

it's a DGC : digital gainclone

use it straight or inversed, hehehe
Old 5th December 2003, 01:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bad for Nelson's Alcoa stock....

tda892X not for sale yet, only samples available
Old 6th December 2003, 08:30 PM   #10
deandob is offline deandob  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone trying the philips Class D implementation

Is anyone planning on trying the TDA8924?

Is it the UCD amplifier discussed on the classd.org site that got such a good wrap? Specs look reasonable (comparable to the competition) and the implementation looks to be easy. The UCD amp on classd.org mentions a zero feedback system with feedback (??) taken after the loop filter, but looking at the TDA8924 specs there is no feedback path after the filter so I guess its not the UDC design.

The other interesting thing about this chip is that it mentions high power supply ripple rejection, yet most class D implementations have very low or no (eg. Equibit) supply rejection.

Regards,
Dean

Hide this!Advertise here!