Capacitor upgrade for Cayin CDT-15A - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitor upgrade for Cayin CDT-15A

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade my Cayin CDT-15A Player by replacing its output capacitors. The original capacitors are two RealCaps (a 3.3uF parallels with a 0.1uF). So I'm considering between Mundorf Supreme and Obbligato Gold Premium (both pricing around $20/each of 3.3uF, the Mundorf cost a little more). I also want to know if the paralleled 0.1uF cap can be removed when I replace the 3.3uF cap.
All advices and recommendations are welcome. Thanks!
Old 29th April 2013, 04:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A parallel capacitor is not a good idea. It will give an oscillation circuit and sound will become worse most of the time.

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade my Cayin CDT-15A Player by replacing its output capacitors. The original capacitors are two RealCaps (a 3.3uF parallels with a 0.1uF). So I'm considering between Mundorf Supreme and Obbligato Gold Premium (both pricing around $20/each of 3.3uF, the Mundorf cost a little more). I also want to know if the paralleled 0.1uF cap can be removed when I replace the 3.3uF cap.
All advices and recommendations are welcome. Thanks!
Old 29th April 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

No specific suggestions but you might find this interesting:

Humble Homemade Hifi

Best regards,

Jesper
Old 30th April 2013, 12:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esltransformer View Post
A parallel capacitor is not a good idea. It will give an oscillation circuit and sound will become worse most of the time.

a
This is absolute nonsense. What you describe is utterly impossible in audio circuitry, and all but maybe microwave rf circuits. I don't know where you got this idea, but it is rubbish.

As to the OP's question, please don't confuse "RealCap" with "RelCap". I was rather amused & disgusted when I first worked on a Cayin piece and saw those "RealCap" caps, so blatantly trying to appear to be RelCap Multicaps. If you replace with actual RelCap Audiocap Theta or Alpha propylenes, finished off with a 0.022-0.1uf RelCap RT styrenes, I don't think you can do much better.
Old 30th April 2013, 03:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you all,
- From what I heard, the parallel capacitor have at least 2 reasons: to reduce the total resistance and inductance of the caps; to improve the high frequency at which the small capacitance cap works better than the big one. Anyway, with the high grade caps, I think it's not necessary to use a parallel cap at all
- gentlevoice: Thank you for useful link. From what I read there "Making a capacitor using about 90% Clarity Cap SA and about 10% Mundorf Supreme works very well, this tends to open up the top end just nicely without altering anything else", I will consider to have a 3.3uF Clarity Cap SA parallels with a 0.1uF Mundorf Supreme (But I still don't know if this is a good idea?). Anyway, if possible to throw away the parallel cap and use only one cap, I think a 3.3uF Mundorf Supreme is a right choice for me.

Hide this!Advertise here!