TDA1541 - lots of sibilance on vocals - Sony CDP227ESD player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 11:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audio_tony
Default TDA1541 - lots of sibilance on vocals - Sony CDP227ESD player

I have recently bought a Sony CDP-227 (with dual TDA1541).

I used to own one of these a few years back, and that one was fine.

But this latest one suffers badly from sibilance.

My initial thoughts were to simply recap the entire DAC stage, but then I thought I would ask first - to see if anyone else has experienced this kind of issue with the TDA1541.

On well recorded CDs, the quality is superb - but the vast majority of "regular" CDs have this sibilance issue.

All other frequencies are fine - in fact the bass and midband are actually the best I've heard in ages.

I have tried different amp / preamp combos and that has made little difference.

Looking at the internals of the player - it doesn't look to have had much use, despite being 20+ years old.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

TIA.

I have attached a snippet of the schematic of the DAC / o/p stages.
Attached Images
File Type: png CDP-227ESD.png (430.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Check C414/514 - the caps at the opamp input. These divert some of the HF current from the bare waveform edges away from the opamps. If these caps are missing or faulty then the opamp gets fed a lot of HF energy it can't cope with. This would be more noticeable at the treble end of the audio spectrum, as the edges are bigger there.
Old 22nd April 2013, 02:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I checked those caps, they're ok.

Whilst I was in there, I removed C413 / C513 (I've never been a fan of putting caps of different types in parallel) and I bypassed R408 / R508 and increased R407 / R507 to 560 ohms.

The cables I'm using are fairly long, and I did wonder if I was getting some oscillation in the o/p stage due to the cable length / capacitance.

I know that many designs suggest that you should have 470R -> 1K series resistance to protect against oscillation with capacitive loads.

I also fitted some sockets for the opamps, but clearly FET opamps don't work too well here lol

I'm guessing I need a bit of biasing on the input from the TDAs, and I don't want to start messing about with that.

So I guess my next upgrade will be a couple of LM4562s.

Last edited by audio_tony; 22nd April 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 23rd April 2013, 07:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Could it be that the Spindle Motor could be running slightly slow?

I have had faulty Motors causing distortion in the past, admittedly it often causes no play or very bad distortion but I have had on occasion it causing slight HF distortion.

I am not saying it will definately be this but it may be worth a try.

James.
Old 24th April 2013, 07:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Also the RF output from the Laser could be falling to the threshold of acceptability, I have had this causing slight HF distortion.

James.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I'll do some checks according to the manual.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_tony View Post
On well recorded CDs, the quality is superb - but the vast majority of "regular" CDs have this sibilance issue.
This might indicate permanent error correction (interpolation between good samples) so hard working that the resulting waveform hardly resembles to the original. You need to check the eye pattern with an oscilloscope.

Hide this!Advertise here!