CDM1 cannot spin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got hold of a Meridien Pro MCD that was based on a Philips CD101 manufactured back in about 1985. Plugged in the power and when trying to read the redbook disc, the disc just spinned a few rounds and stopped and cannot read the content at all. :( Haven't got much information about the player but looks like it is a solidly built CDM1 in there and the D/A was TDA1540 - a 14 bit decoder! If I can get the thing spin again, it seems to be a good drive. Anyone got any ideas on what to check for the CDM1? Any help is much appreciated.
YCLee

Yes, Check the laser. But also check if the arm can move freely. Check if the objective comes into focus. Said in other words use the servicemode to check all vital functions. To get into service mode power up with play button pressed and skip from one mode to the next with the FWD(?) button. (something like that, you have to find the exact combination, rather easy anyway).

Normally do not use oil, but after such a long time it might help.

Success!

Ward

YCLee said:
Just got hold of a Meridien Pro MCD that was based on a Philips CD101 manufactured back in about 1985. Plugged in the power and when trying to read the redbook disc, the disc just spinned a few rounds and stopped and cannot read the content at all. :( Haven't got much information about the player but looks like it is a solidly built CDM1 in there and the D/A was TDA1540 - a 14 bit decoder! If I can get the thing spin again, it seems to be a good drive. Anyone got any ideas on what to check for the CDM1? Any help is much appreciated.
YCLee

Hi

Do you see the pick up unit moving inwards, and do you see the lens moving up and down 3 (or more) times ? If so, it is likely you have no light output, or no signals back from the detector

This link may also help

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq.html

succes

Many thanks for the hint!! I will try that out tonight! The machine is so solidly built that throwing it away is a pity without trying to fix. The player was working all the time until about 8 years ago that it was put to the shelf and rest until about a year ago that I got it. It was still operational when I first got it but then I haven't got much time to play with it and again left it rest until lately and found it is not spinning anymore.
If I remember it right, the laser head do go up and down a few times before it gave up. But I will clean the lens once again and try again.
Again many thanks for everyone giving the help!

YCLee

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.