Upgrade CD Player - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2013, 02:21 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Smile Thanks again

Ki Ken and thank you again for your responses.
I will look into the equipment you suggested.
Thanks for the suggestion on auditioning anything. Wise advice.

Continued good listening to you.

Mike (speedygg1)
Old 11th April 2013, 01:51 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Mike,

The following hyperlink may also be of some interest to you.

2013 TAS Editors' Choice Awards: DACs Under $1000 | The Absolute Sound
Old 12th April 2013, 02:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks again

Hi Ken and thanks again for responding and for providing the information.
I've just gotten my Adcom GCD 750 back from the shop.
It works fine and only cost me $75 in parts and labor.

What would the advantages be of using it as a transport and adding an outboard DAC? An outboard DAC would provide 24 Bits as opposed to the GCD 750's 20 Bits. Would I hear a difference and why?

Again, thank you for your advice.
Old 13th April 2013, 04:28 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygg1 View Post
Hi Ken and thanks again for responding and for providing the information.
I've just gotten my Adcom GCD 750 back from the shop.
It works fine and only cost me $75 in parts and labor.

What would the advantages be of using it as a transport and adding an outboard DAC? An outboard DAC would provide 24 Bits as opposed to the GCD 750's 20 Bits. Would I hear a difference and why?

Again, thank you for your advice.
I feel pretty certain that you would not hear a difference between otherwise identical 20-bit and 24-bit converters. For one thing, the effective resolution of audio application digital to analog converters rarely exceeds about 19-bits. Any more bits are mostly marketing selling points. In fact, many feel that the pinnacle of converter chip design was the 16-bit TDA1541.

In my experience, most of the audible difference between DAC designs is due to the digital filter implementation (or, lack thereof), and the post conversion analog circuits. Additional key factors are jitter suppression, and supply voltage regulation implementation. Some others also feel that converter type (sigma-delta vs. full resolution multibit) plays an consistently audible role as well.

So, where does that leave you? My advice is to ignore checking for any particular laundry list of technical features, other than for media and component interface compatibility. Such a list will not tell you how a given component would sound to your ears. Instead, determine which DAC choices are within your budget are available locally for audition - ideally, in your own home if possible. Resist the temptation to buy any component based on my opinion, or that of a magazine reviewer, or of anyone else. Take the time to educate your ears by carefully auditioning what's available to you, then make your choice. Whatever you choose, it won't be your last such choice, so, have fun.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 13th April 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 14th April 2013, 01:23 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have the Marantz CD6004 which you can get shipped for $499. It does sound very nice and it contains a port where you can run an iPod or iPhone through it's DAC while recharging. I highly recommend getting a good power cord which improves dynamic punch. I still marvel at how natural and effortless it sounds and it remains one of the leading contenders at it's price range.

Hide this!Advertise here!