Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I think I'm about to buy this DAC:http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAC-decoder-AK4399-WM8805-Coaxial-optical-input-Assembled-board-DAC9-by-weiliang-/140939706103?ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123[/URL]

Just wanted to know if this is the current recommendation in this thread? It comes with NE5534 opamps. I use a tube amp that I built so I don't really want an opamp, but if its necessary then I want one that suits a tube sound?

Not really interested in buying transformers for the outputs and I hear that foregoing the opamps and going direct out via a resistor is not recommended so I guess I'm stuck with opamps. I've voiced my concerns to the seller (Minishow) and he asks which opamps I would like to replace the NE5534.... would love suggestions and also someone to clarify that this is the right single AK4399 board to buy, I have seen the dual implementation of the AK4399 from the same seller but am not sure it is worth the extra money?

Simple and positive answers only please on a postcard.... stu

Just wanted to know if this is the current recommendation in this thread? It comes with NE5534 opamps. I use a tube amp that I built so I don't really want an opamp, but if its necessary then I want one that suits a tube sound?

Never tried the double AK4399 one but I don't like much how it is decoupled...

In general the better opamps you can use on the DAC9 are LME49710, IMHO, particularly the metal can version (LME49710HA).

A dream like that :D

Attachments

• DreamDAC.JPG
    DreamDAC.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 440
I wanted to say that the akm4399 is a great chip it suits my taste, i have listened to most of the popular dac chips via i2s with cm6631a and settled for this, when i listen to it the musicians sound like they are in the room with you, there is a lot of talk about es9023 but i say that on my system it lacked soundstage definition with centre vocals being pushed back a bit, akm4399 has full soundstage with my system.

Hi all!

I am an owner of a Weiliang AK4399/AK4113 with it's additional xmos module.

When it first came (as a gift from a friend) it was with the ne5534 op amps. My dac at that time was an 9023 async hifimediy dac with it's external PSU. I tested the dac for several days and although I liked it very much I felt like I was missing something from my old trusty 9023.

I decided to replace the two op amps with the ada4627 and I have to admit that I was surprised by the change in sound. This dac, in combination with the new op amps is superb. Big sound stage, neutral and a big 3d feeling when listening to my redbok (and some test hi res flacs) flacs.

I am not experienced in dacs and there is not a big list of dacs I have tried, but for my needs it's a winner.

ps. My hifi is a gainclone 3875 + monitor audio bronze b2 + udoo quad/archphile. The interconnect cable is a cheap straight wire 0.6m and the usb cable used is a very cheap 0.3m shielded cable from hifimediy.

I have dac 9 and have Salas power supply and wow this dac sounds just wonderfully detailed clear just amazing way above normal I think I will stick with this loving the sound, have chased other chips but not anymore, don't care what anybody says about the AKM its just fantastic.

I was going to build the red baron dac had the salas shunts laying round thought i should use them on dac 9 i took out two regulators that supply 5v analogue and digital supplies directly to dac chip totaly bipassing the onboard power supply and use my own i2s mod also instead of the one that is meant to slot into this pcb. Also i dont use the opamp section i am using direct output from dac chip, these are my preferences so these choices may not suit you.

I have dac 9 and have Salas power supply and wow this dac sounds just wonderfully detailed clear just amazing way above normal I think I will stick with this loving the sound, have chased other chips but not anymore, don't care what anybody says about the AKM its just fantastic.

Everybody who still has ears that work cannot do anything else than agree with you.
Yes, this DAC sounds fantastic.

Is there a link to Salas P.S.?
It would be nice to see your other mods as well.
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.