Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399 - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2013, 10:29 PM   #111
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Martin View Post
The red Wimas are not staying! Sounds dull and boring.. (FKP) compared to the blue Eros.
Hi Max,

your comment on FKP2 is really strange...

I suppose the EROs you're referring to are KP1830, if so I do agree they're really good caps and also a (tiny) bit more neutral than FKP2s.

Nevertheless I find FKP2s more musical and richer in harmonics, in fact KP1830 are a bit dry in this regard.

Quote:
Decoupling caps was changed to Muse Kz and although the sound became more "fun" to listen to (not focusing on something) then the Silmics.

But somewhere back in my head the Silmics seems more balanced and "hifi". Would like to test Cerafines in this position before letting it go.
KZs, in my experience sound fuller with (much) more bass but also a bit 'confused'

I've tried also Cerafines and Black Gates in the DAC9 but in most positions the supplied Silmics are better balanced.

Cerafines/Black Gates are better, though, on VCML, VCMR and DVDD

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
The blue Philips/Vishay 036/116 caps were changed to Pannas Fms and the sound became more open (alot more...) but sometimes maybe to much? Very clear and with lot of details.
I suggest you to leave those BC caps, they're really good and I've had no better results with other caps.

Quote:
In other applications the K40s have been giving me a "tube" mid but here i couldn't hear much difference to the wima fkps. Actually they sounded maybe even better here but in my old Titanium HD they performed flawlessly with "midrange-to-die-for" if you know what i mean.
K40Y are details killer... They have a really pleasant midrange but they're too much colored...

Not my cup of tea...

Quote:
The Red wima FKS were removed near the opamps for the silmics. More coherent. Other places i have not tried to remove bypasses.
Can you elaborate?

I can't understand... are you referring to the MKS2 100nF bypasses?

If so I do agree (see my previous post)
Old 15th October 2013, 04:02 AM   #112
Peterma is offline Peterma  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi clave in your picture you show cap numbers and pin conections for each which decoupling caps do you recommend to leave void?

PM
Old 15th October 2013, 04:19 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Thank you Max Martin for sharing your experience with AK4399 DAC. It's truly a great useful information for me. Seemly, I have to do a lot of work with my board to improve sound quality. Now, I have a bit trouble with my board that it couldn't able to automatic select input source (coaxial input is default). Might you tell me some idea to solve that issues, Max? I really want to use USB input source to connect with Raspberry pi for music server.
Old 15th October 2013, 05:07 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Hi Max,

your comment on FKP2 is really strange...

I suppose the EROs you're referring to are KP1830, if so I do agree they're really good caps and also a (tiny) bit more neutral than FKP2s.

Nevertheless I find FKP2s more musical and richer in harmonics, in fact KP1830 are a bit dry in this regard.

KZs, in my experience sound fuller with (much) more bass but also a bit 'confused'

I've tried also Cerafines and Black Gates in the DAC9 but in most positions the supplied Silmics are better balanced.

Cerafines/Black Gates are better, though, on VCML, VCMR and DVDD

Click the image to open in full size.

I suggest you to leave those BC caps, they're really good and I've had no better results with other caps.

K40Y are details killer... They have a really pleasant midrange but they're too much colored...

Not my cup of tea...

Can you elaborate?

I can't understand... are you referring to the MKS2 100nF bypasses?

If so I do agree (see my previous post)

Yes, sorry maybe I'm strange But the FKP (5% with rating 100v and 10% with rating 630v) sounds less detailed and rounded with compressed mid. I have about the same feeling about the MKP4/10s I've tried out in the Yaqin MC100 i have. The Ero i tried is the KP1830 made 1994. Really like them here. In my old titanium HD they sounded good but a bit flat and "polypropylen" glaze.

I was thinking maybe there are several different FKPs out there, seen green ones too and 2.5%. Maybe mine are not FKPs as I thought?

Anyway they really "hide" details in upper region.

Ohh sorry regarding the red wima bypasses I mean the MKS2 Actually beacuse of you i tried to remove them and with sucess. Thanks

The silmics (black/gold) are indeed good.

You hit what I tried to say about the KZs spot on. Yes, much more bass. More Rock n roll cap and rough :cool
With these in my old titanum HD i have the same impression. Funny but not refined like the silmics.

The K40's can also be a bit dull. I serie connected 2pcs 470pF so i guess they opened up little bit but as said. FKP is more opened up and airy

Yes, the blue Philips is going back. Good caps.

Last edited by Max Martin; 15th October 2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:04 AM   #115
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
FKP (5% with rating 100v and 10% with rating 630v) sounds less detailed and rounded with compressed mid. I have about the same feeling about the MKP4/10s I've tried out in the Yaqin MC100 i have.
Quote:
I was thinking maybe there are several different FKPs out there, seen green ones too and 2.5%. Maybe mine are not FKPs as I thought?
I suspect you're confusing different Wima caps...that sound really different.

FKP2s with larger tolerances can have magnetic leads, which could hide some detail.

FKP2s 2.5% and 1% have copper leads.

Quote:
Anyway they really "hide" details in upper region.
This comment, for example, apply perfectly for metallized polypropilene and mylar caps, not at all for FKPs (film/alu foil polypropilene)

Quote:
Ohh sorry regarding the red wima bypasses I mean the MKS2 Actually beacuse of you i tried to remove them and with sucess. Thanks
You're welcome

Quote:
The Ero i tried is the KP1830 made 1994. Really like them here. In my old titanium HD they sounded good but a bit flat and "polypropylen" glaze.
They're excellent caps, same type of FKP2s (film/alu foil).

But I usually prefer the, IMHO, more musical FKP2s.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:13 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Clave: what do you think is the difference between silmic2 and cerafine in decoupling positions?
Old 16th October 2013, 12:13 PM   #117
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Clave: what do you think is the difference between silmic2 and cerafine in decoupling positions?
It depends if you're referring to analog or digital decoupling.

In analog decoupling Cerafines are balanced, with a good amount of detail and harmonics but can be a bit hard, Silmics are fuller, a bit less detailed, more harmonics, never hard.

In digital decoupling I prefer Cerafines over Silmics.

ROHS brown/white Silmics are not as balanced as the black/gold ones you can find on eBay (and on DAC9).
Old 16th October 2013, 08:25 PM   #118
Peterma is offline Peterma  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks i have my answer from your previous post
Old 17th October 2013, 12:58 AM   #119
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterma View Post
Thanks i have my answer from your previous post
Sorry, I've missed your post.
Old 21st October 2013, 07:42 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

My version of a small tweak DAC9 and rmaa via optical input. Nice sound

Last edited by feNDer2k5; 21st October 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!