Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2013, 03:11 PM   #101
Witty is offline Witty  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Just got reply from Weiliang on Taobao.com. Their XMOS doesn't support Linux.
Old 9th September 2013, 07:32 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

I've been interested of this one discussed here for a while till I saw this:

New Xmos AK4399 USB I2S 24bit 192K DAC Decorder Assembled Board by Weiliang | eBay

So i placed an order =) Let's see when it arrives. Minishow seems to be a serious seller, and also Along1986. Been talking to them alot. Got my dac finished in a case with a 50VA R-core.

EDIT: This is gonna replace a Titanium HD modified to hell Let's see. I was very happy with my Titanium HD with all mods but i broke so... Trying new things is fun =)

Last edited by Max Martin; 9th September 2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 9th September 2013, 01:23 PM   #103
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Martin View Post
I've been interested of this one discussed here for a while till I saw this:

New Xmos AK4399 USB I2S 24bit 192K DAC Decorder Assembled Board by Weiliang | eBay

So i placed an order =) Let's see when it arrives. Minishow seems to be a serious seller, and also Along1986. Been talking to them alot. Got my dac finished in a case with a 50VA R-core.

EDIT: This is gonna replace a Titanium HD modified to hell Let's see. I was very happy with my Titanium HD with all mods but i broke so... Trying new things is fun =)
I've been following this thread too. Would like to try this DAC9 sometime in the future. I've also had very good experiences with along1986. He seems to carry a lot of DIY modules, and is willing to work with you and provide minor tech support when called upon. He's fair, and will bundle shipping if asked. I built a DAC from along last year and I've been very happy with it in its stock form. I also purchased the enclosure, r-core xformer, and parts to complete the DAC. I did bought some replacements op-amps to try in it, but could not detect any significant differences. I guess it's my aging ears. The Weiliang DAC9 sounds like it would nice to try as well. Please do report back when you get your DAC and have had some time to listen to it in your system.

Rick
Old 24th September 2013, 06:34 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

I got it but one channel didn't work and minishow is sending a new board as we speak. But on the channel that worked it sounded awfully distinct n' snappy. I'll be back when the new board arrives and after some burn in and listening.

Comment on minishow vs fake parts: all parts i got seems to be genuine, only 2pcs of cerafines 220uf was old (made -97!!) rest was made -12/-13

Solderquality was flawless! Looks like silver solder
Old 24th September 2013, 08:11 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

This board have very hq components i have to say. Wima fkp, silmic II, elna for audio main caps. Panasonic. Philips/vishay. Sanyo oscon SH. 1% metalfilm... And CMC rca's opamps were LME 49710. Pretty decent i think.
Old 26th September 2013, 07:57 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Ok i got the board today ( 3 days from china) thanks minishow

Anyway fresh out of box its sounds truly natural n smooth! Mark Knoplers guitar sound so real on monteleone for example. Can't wait till all components are burnt in...

More later....
Old 28th September 2013, 09:09 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Could someone post a RMAA of DAC9+which usb is being used?

To know how it compares to ODAC/Hifimediy and to reference board as xonar stx.
Old 11th October 2013, 07:05 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

I have just bought Weilang's Dual AKM4399 Dac from taobao. I'm extremely impress with the improvement of sound quality. Bass and treble are controlled quiet well, sound stage became more widely. I'm so grateful for Weilang product. Recently, I'm think about offer another DACs to compare with AKM4399 and so notice to ES9018 DAC. Anybody tried both akm4399 and ES9018 could share me some experiments and advices?
Old 14th October 2013, 08:51 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

I posted this in the other thread xmos + ak4399 but here it goes again;

This dac needs atleast 50h burn-in.

In original state it's very neutral and have a very good, tight bottom end. Bass is overall very good with this dac. Sometimes the top seems a bit closed in and the soundstage a bit "narrow" but just a little bit. The finest details is lost though. Overall excellent dac for the money. Much better then a modified Titanium HD or Essence Stx!! Can produce more front to back and being "there". Bass as said, impresses me.

I've been playing around with different caps and also removing some bypass caps.

Pio K40Y-9, Muse KZs, Panasonic FMs, Ero KP1830 have been tried and i can say this. The red Wimas are not staying! Sounds dull and boring.. (FKP) compared to the blue Eros.
Decoupling caps was changed to Muse Kz and although the sound became more "fun" to listen to (not focusing on something) then the Silmics.

But somewhere back in my head the Silmics seems more balanced and "hifi". Would like to test Cerafines in this position before letting it go.
The blue Philips/Vishay 036/116 caps were changed to Pannas Fms and the sound became more open (alot more...) but sometimes maybe to much? Very clear and with lot of details.

In other applications the K40s have been giving me a "tube" mid but here i couldn't hear much difference to the wima fkps. Actually they sounded maybe even better here but in my old Titanium HD they performed flawlessly with "midrange-to-die-for" if you know what i mean.

The Red wima FKS were removed near the opamps for the silmics. More coherent. Other places i have not tried to remove bypasses.

Op amps have been tried too and i really like the OPA228 here. Outstanding for little money. The LME 49710 had less detail and midrange openess. I have before testing alot of dual op amps and also there were 2228 no:1. Must admit I have not tried AD797 or 627 yet =)

Next to try is to replace the four Panna "X-pro" caps that i found out is very old stock to new Rubycon ZHL's.

Ok thats all for now.

Last edited by Max Martin; 14th October 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:57 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvc500vn View Post
I have just bought Weilang's Dual AKM4399 Dac from taobao. I'm extremely impress with the improvement of sound quality. Bass and treble are controlled quiet well, sound stage became more widely. I'm so grateful for Weilang product. Recently, I'm think about offer another DACs to compare with AKM4399 and so notice to ES9018 DAC. Anybody tried both akm4399 and ES9018 could share me some experiments and advices?
I'm actually thinking trying this out. I saw that there is a new version out with softwarecontrol and maybe a bit more optimized design.

Last edited by Max Martin; 14th October 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!