Had anyone built his own 5.1 sound system?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,i'm new on this forum....:)
As the thread says i'm looking forward to exchange opinions and ideas with ppl who built themselvess 5.1 sound systems(i mean amps and speakers...)or with anyone who wants to build such audio system in the future....I believe i could give some advice,considering the fact that i've built my own 5.1 system...:)
(it sounds good,btw)

Good luck with your projects,everyone!!!
:)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello

I am commencing building my own 5.1 system, but at a very gradual pace. My biggest problem is gong to be on two fronts, firstly decoding the signal and then controlling the volume. The rest of it I can still manage even though I mostly listen to music, DVDs and multichannel content do not interest me as much.

Any details of your system would be welcome. specially the signal processing as I have no experience of digtal concepts.

As I have been reading, it is not possible to get a license on one-off basis to decode Dolby Digtal and DTS, so purchase of a decoder or a 5.1 player is nessecary. Unfortunately I need to mate it with my PC, which has a very good digital output and a very bad analog output, on one motherboard - so even hacking up the board for a 5.1 analog out is not possible. I am considering buying a NAD decoder but that is also quite expensive and I do not need that level of complexity. Just a simple 5.1 system that can decode DD and DTS streams in real-time and offload my CPU a bit, and a moderately powerful system (I do not need more than 30-40 watts/ch) so I may yet end up buyig components off the market and keep my experiments to stereo music.

Incidentally, welcome to the forums, and I think this thread should be in 'Digital' and not 'Analogue'!! Maybe a mod will come by and move it?

Salut!
Hmmm...let's keep it in english ;)

I work on a 4 channel (not 5.1...yet) audio system, I mean the hardware is complete but the software is a litle bit pain in the ... bass :D

I use SAB80C517A mcu for infrared detection, 8 PWM lines (controls for 2xTDA1524A - volume, balance, treble and bass - front and rear) , keyboard, PC serial link etc.

The amps are a LM4766 (2x30W)-front speakers, LM1876(2x20W)-rear speakers and 2xLM4860 for headphones.

Any exchange of info are welcomed!
Sorry for any mistakes...obviously not native english.
Chears!
microJean

Hi, Electronist -

I'm gradually putting together the amp and speaker portions of a HT 7.1 system (actually with no front center channel - I plan to mix that into the L & R front speakers at the amp.)

I have the drivers for the speakers I am building - the satellites will have either one or two JBL 2206 woofers and a JBL 2420 compression driver attached to a 2344 100 x 100 degree biradial horn which should provide much better dispersion through its frequency range than all but a dipole type speaker. I will have two endtable type subs each with eight 12" woofers with 15mm Xmax. The subs will be driven by a Crown K2 which should be good for 1000W/channel or so into the 3 ohm load per channel. I've been doing some looking around for a multichannel amp for the satellites, and not wanting to spend $2K plus for a B&K or similar, I've decided to build my own 6 channel hybrid tube/MOSFET amplifier at a projected 150W/channel which I think I can do for about $700 and is the only piece I don't have all the major parts for yet.

Now all I need is about six months to put it all together.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.