The "sound" Of Mp3`s........ - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2003, 05:33 AM   #1
steve p is offline steve p  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The "sound" Of Mp3`s........

Hey,I`ve noticed some things about Mp3`s lately. Has anyone ever listened to an Mp3 with your headphone plug pulled out a little bit (to disconnect the ground between the channels and get that out-of-phase sound with no vocals?) You can REALLY hear the distortion,man! More artifacts than a Mexican museum during Aztec history week! (That was Mexico,wasn`t it?) What I`m hearing with some Mp3`s,I call a "swirly" type sound,like a metallic rustling or ringing noise. Other people have said they hear a "jangling" of the treble,and that must be what I`m hearing. VERY noticeable when you listen out of phase! Makes me wonder how much of that distortion is perceptible sub-consciously,without really "hearing" it,even when the music is playing normally (in-phase). I think 128-160 kb/s Mp3 wrecks havoc on cymbals. Listen to some songs with high-end or really metallic-sounding cymbals,like "Lack of Communication" by Ratt, "Interstate Love Song" by STP,or most older Van Halen stuff. The cymbals sound like they`re under water. They really improve at 192k,though. At least to me they seem to.
Old 27th November 2003, 07:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you diconnect the ground you will hear the difference signal L-R.
Old 27th November 2003, 08:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi!

That must have something to do with most people encoding mp3's with "Joint Stereo" encoding, which combines the signal of both channels whenever that can be done without problems, therefore saving bitrate for more complex passges.

Joint stereo is actually considered superior to "Stereo", at least in blind listening tests done at HydrogenAudio, which is why it has become the default encoding scheme for the Lame MP3 encoder.

But of course, if you listen only to the differential signal, it will sound very different from the original differential signal of the audiol source.

Bye,

Arndt
Old 27th November 2003, 09:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Funny, i've noticed the same thing.

Is it due to joint stereo ? Coz, then you had to hear gaps when the signal of both channel is equal.
Old 27th November 2003, 09:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I agree that that is a large auduible difference between 128/s and 192/s. I just can't enjoy the 128/s ... it's horrible.. . the jangeling, the treble ..all you just said.. I hear it too ... maybe there's something wrong with my MP3 /decoder/enconder.. but I can enjoy the 192/s....

Greetings,
Thijs
Old 27th November 2003, 09:37 PM   #6
weissi is offline weissi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi!

do you know monkeys audio? it compresses lossles, not bad when you ask me....
But for normal listening I´ll go for >192kbit... that´s enough...
Old 28th November 2003, 01:37 AM   #7
steve p is offline steve p  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. I`ve heard that Lame is the best,so I`ll try that. I`ve been using MM Jukebox,and I scanned in about 800 songs from CDs the other day,encoded at 192 k. One thing that has me concerned about MMJB, possibly, is the fact that some of the songs are not correct. When I ripped the Cds, I let CDDB look up all the song titles,and I unchecked the tunes that I did not want recorded. But when I looked through my library afterward, I saw songs listed that I had not selected on one certain CD. So I played those songs, and they were not even by the right band! They were actually songs that I remember ripping,but could not find in the list. However, the songs on that CD that I DID select, they were OK! Anyone else ever have that? Missing songs showing up under titles that you didn`t even want? Another thing is occasional skips,maybe one song out of 60-100. Is Musicmatch not very reliable? Not a good encoder? Or do I need to slow down the ripping speed? (It`s only 7-8X on my laptop) Thanks.
Old 29th November 2003, 10:44 PM   #8
Benjlv is offline Benjlv  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Benjlv
i personally use a program called CDEX which uses the lame encoder. I personally recommend that you use a varable bit rate encoding to get the most quality for the size of the file. I personally use a 112-224 variable bit rate with a average of 160kps. I have been pretty satisified with the overall sound, but i dont listen to these files very intensly...

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

thats the link to CDEX. it will rip and encode and also name the files automatically.
Old 29th November 2003, 10:57 PM   #9
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Just go 320 kbit/s -> no worries.
Old 29th November 2003, 10:58 PM   #10
Tensop is offline Tensop  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve p
Thanks for the replies, guys. I`ve heard that Lame is the best,so I`ll try that. I`ve been using MM Jukebox,and I scanned in about 800 songs from CDs the other day,encoded at 192 k. One thing that has me concerned about MMJB, possibly, is the fact that some of the songs are not correct. When I ripped the Cds, I let CDDB look up all the song titles,and I unchecked the tunes that I did not want recorded. But when I looked through my library afterward, I saw songs listed that I had not selected on one certain CD. So I played those songs, and they were not even by the right band! They were actually songs that I remember ripping,but could not find in the list. However, the songs on that CD that I DID select, they were OK! Anyone else ever have that? Missing songs showing up under titles that you didn`t even want? Another thing is occasional skips,maybe one song out of 60-100. Is Musicmatch not very reliable? Not a good encoder? Or do I need to slow down the ripping speed? (It`s only 7-8X on my laptop) Thanks.

From memory music match jukebox uses a horrible encoder, in lines with Xing for mp3 encoding. Use lame encoder + cdex

Hide this!Advertise here!