PCM1704 NOS Strange Clipping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2013, 11:37 PM   #1
LuisMCP is offline LuisMCP  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default PCM1704 NOS Strange Clipping

The DAC seems to work properly in the beginning a nice sinusoidal can be saw in scope, but 1 minute after, a clipping in negative zone is slowly growing up to a certain level.

Both channels L and R are affected, two different I/V converters was tried and same results was obtained.

Pin 17 (SERVO_DC) has different voltage in both chips. One at 0,00V and another at -2,40 volts.

Some idea what the matter?

Regards
Old 28th March 2013, 01:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Are pins 11 and 20 at + and - 5vdc constant? Maybe one of your 5v regulators are on the fritz when it warms up.

Cheers George
Old 28th March 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I agree with George, the first thing to do is check whether the power supply rails are stable and without significant ripple voltage, especially, the negative rail.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm using a Twisted Pear Dual Power Supply (LCBPS).
I have checked +/-5V correctly, and I have change LM337 and electrolitics caps and all remains the same.

1-2 minutes of clean signal, then clipping in negative sinusoidal. Power off the DAC and exactly the same thing ever and ever.

Both channels fails equally, I have interchanged the PCM1704 (they are socketed to DIP 20 adapter), I have put only one PCM1704 in L, then in R channel, and allways get the same results.

I don't have another PSU for testing right now, but probably this afternoon I would get one.
Old 28th March 2013, 02:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Have you checked with scope?
Old 28th March 2013, 04:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
Have you checked with scope?
Yes, as I have mentioned it in my fist post.
Old 28th March 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Luis could you post a pic and schematic used?
Old 28th March 2013, 05:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Drop the I/V, put some 20ohm resistor to ground instead, check with scope. This way we eliminate everything but the DAC and it's digital side.
If the clipping is still there, and the supplies are absolutly fine then... well, i hope you wont see that clipping thing again
Old 28th March 2013, 06:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
Drop the I/V, put some 20ohm resistor to ground instead, check with scope. This way we eliminate everything but the DAC and it's digital side.
If the clipping is still there, and the supplies are absolutly fine then... well, i hope you wont see that clipping thing again
interesting. I will try this

A question... I/V I use is a common opamp v to i converter, and of course, inverts the signal. Then, If I see negative side clipped in scope and i/v inverts, DAC output is with positive side clipped, and the problem would be in positive rail of psu, not the negative rail.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Opamp's PS may fail too, so it won't supply the current required = give high virtual impedance = clip. What is the resistor value in opamp's feedback?

Anyway, lets check the DAC first

Hide this!Advertise here!