upgrade a Sony CDP XA7Es / two clock problem in Sony players - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2013, 08:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default upgrade a Sony CDP XA7Es / two clock problem in Sony players

Having changed the power chord of my CDP XA7es player to two coax cables
with saftey ground connected to the shields sound quality improved a lot ..it almost reaches my heavily tweaked Kenwood DP 1100SG (built in LC clock, new OPAMPs etc.).
So I think it is very worthwhile to upgrade the clock(s)..has anyone found a solution for upgrading both clocks in this player (or simillar models)?
regards, Philipp
Old 24th March 2013, 09:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

check with the Swoboda site, there is a description about the 2 clocks.
Rob
Old 24th March 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know, but it is quite expensive..should be possible reach a better, cheaper diy solution..
Old 24th March 2013, 10:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I attach the service manual for the cdp xa7es...if you look at the power supply for the analog section (page25)..remarkebly - never saw something like this in a commercial player..
I had a skipping problem after warm up, but it could be easily fixed : I simply plugged/replugged all connectors to the servo board twice ,which are reachable after removing the top plate of the player..
eye pattern level reached the 1.2Vpp after cleaning the lense, with self burnt CDs level is a bit low (~0.8V), but no skipping..
I always check the sound with a Stax 407 with modified SRM T1 amp (replaced the anode resistors by current sources)..
I can recommend the RDC-Puck - more air, smoother sound, better focus..
there are a lot of two clock Sony players out there, so a two clock upgrade should be of interest for many..(Swoboda charges 615..)
with original power chord I could not stand the harsh,thin sound of this player..I removed all connectors carrying the 230V and directly soldered the wires (bypassed the two fuses with wires..I know, just for the time beeing)..highly recommended
I believe this player has very high hidden potential for sound improvement!
regards, Philipp
Old 24th March 2013, 10:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Manual is too big, can be downloaded here :
SONY CDP-XA7ES Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics
Old 24th March 2013, 11:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible force View Post
with saftey ground connected to the shields sound quality improved a lot ..it almost reaches my heavily tweaked Kenwood DP 1100SG (built in LC clock, new OPAMPs etc.).
So I think it is very worthwhile to upgrade the clock(s)..has anyone found a solution for upgrading both clocks in this player (or simillar models)?
regards, Philipp
I am sorry but to do this is very dangerous, especially to delete the protection fuses as you write about in a later blog.
How can replacing the 230Volt mains supply cable improve the sound unless you have noisy mains supply in which fit a mains filter.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hello, I snapped the fuses back..most main filters actually worsen the sound,
I think because of higher HF current in the safety ground...please see attached paper from Bill Whitlock..
Please let us focus on the two clock problem..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bill Whitlock on grounding.pdf (215.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 7th April 2013, 06:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I left the two clocks unchanged, but improved their power supplies..
Well, I did a lot more, for an appetizer see the anaolg stage with interesting details,e.g. the clever current booster transistors Q521/Q522 in the output of the I/V converter, or the lateral Fets in the output buffer...
Interested in how to use a fast Opamp in this buffer without oscillations?
I need some motivation to explain the proceedure, so I will go on here, when
say at least 10 people leave a post...
This player is the best, I ever heard...and I am not yet finished..
Have fun!
Philipp
Attached Images
File Type: gif Sony Cdp XA7es analog stage.gif (81.8 KB, 128 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf decouple.pdf (108.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf current pulse patent.pdf (200.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 7th April 2013, 07:13 PM   #9
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The CDP-XA7ES, and many other Sony players use a servo that operates on a 384fs clock and a digital filter and DAC that runs on a 512fs clock. 512/384 = 1.333, not a whole number, so normal clock division can't be used, yet these two clocks have to be synchronised. Sony's solution was a crystal filter, which allows it to sync the 384fs clock with the 512fs clock without having to resort to anything too complex.

The critical clock in this player is the 512fs (45.1584MHz) one, the one that clocks the DAC and digital filter, this is the one you should consider replacing. The other isn't even a true clock source, it's a divider.

So the short answer is; focus on the '45MHz' one, the '16MHz' one isn't very important (though isolating its supply is a good idea for noise reasons).
Old 24th May 2013, 07:38 AM   #10
niamex is offline niamex  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible force View Post
regards, Philipp
Will you please advise how to follow up your upgrade of the 1100 SG - I have the same and replaced almost all the caps on the board with ELNA RFS and the op amps with LMA but the sound is still not impressive.
Thanks,
Ignat

Hide this!Advertise here!