Wireless Digital Audio System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am building a wireless digital audio system for my school project. For a start, I'm using a simple setup as follows:

DVD player --> Wireless Transmitter --> Air (channel) --> Receiver --> Digital Audio Amplifier --> Speaker

I am using the S/PDIF output of the DVD player as my signal source ... as such, I need to find a wireless transmitter or transceiver that can support the high data rate (1.5Mbps) required by CD audio (16 bits/44.1 kHz). Has anyone build this system before or have any recommendation on which wireless transceiver to use? I have search the net and the best that I have come across are Squeak, Opensolution and Micro Linear. However, their evaluation kits are very costly. I was hoping to get something more affordable.

By the way, the digital audio amplifier is the TAS5100EVM from Texas Instruments. It uses a Class D architecture instead of the usual Class A, B or AB.

I'm stuck and hope someone can offer some advice or help regarding this problem of mine. Do drop me an email if you wish too. Thanks!

:confused:

audio_steve said:
Hi,

I am building a wireless digital audio system for my school project. For a start, I'm using a simple setup as follows:

DVD player --> Wireless Transmitter --> Air (channel) --> Receiver --> Digital Audio Amplifier --> Speaker

I am using the S/PDIF output of the DVD player as my signal source ... as such, I need to find a wireless transmitter or transceiver that can support the high data rate (1.5Mbps) required by CD audio (16 bits/44.1 kHz). Has anyone build this system before or have any recommendation on which wireless transceiver to use? I have search the net and the best that I have come across are Squeak, Opensolution and Micro Linear. However, their evaluation kits are very costly. I was hoping to get something more affordable.

By the way, the digital audio amplifier is the TAS5100EVM from Texas Instruments. It uses a Class D architecture instead of the usual Class A, B or AB.

I'm stuck and hope someone can offer some advice or help regarding this problem of mine. Do drop me an email if you wish too. Thanks!

:confused:

Check Elektor Electronics the this December edition (I think) they have a project called "IR S/PDIF Transmitter" and "IR S/PDIF Receiver". Seems to be what you need. It's dirt cheap. The project was earlier in the some of the other editions. In the German edition it was in the Summer edition (I think).

the first question that comes to my mind is how far you want to transmit the signal...

short distance can be done by infered very easily.

slightly long distances through walls can be done by using bluetooth.

longer distances(300m open air i hear) or really anywhere in the house can be done using WIFI.

how exactly you would use these technologies i do not know.

One consideration i do have to say is that you may just want to send the signal via some sort of frequency modulation after its been decoded into analog. This would decrease the quality of the signal, but if done with enough bandwidth (not like normal FM radio stations) you should be able to have a good enough signal for a class D amp.

Another option is to just put the SPDIF signal on a FM carrier in the unlincensed frequency range. The have a normal FM reciever and then run the signal through a SPDIF reciever and then through a DAC...and so on.

Hi,

You might consider using one of the 'Video Senders', used to transmit SCART video signals around the home. They work in the 2.5Ghz range and the composite video input has enough bandwidth to manage a SPDIF signal. I currently use this to connect my PC soundcard SPDIF output (upstairs), to my 5.1 Digital amp (downstairs) for surround sound purposes.

Darren

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.