Not enough Digital audio inputs, can I use a splitter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a Polk RMDS-1 Preamp/processor, a dvd, DSS digital and a game console... All with Digital audio. The RMDS-1 has a place to plug in an optical cable for the DSS, a digital location for the DVD and a digital location for a 12" laser disc. The manual says not to use the 12" LD input for anything but a dolby digital RF signal from a LD... Thats fine, but how the heck am I supposed to utilitze the digital audio for my game console if I only have two digital inputs? Is it ok to use a splitter ??? and which would be bettter to split, the optical from the DSS or the cable from the DVD?
Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Sorry, you can't use a splitter. The digital signals have timing marks that would get confused. Unless you were willing to turn off the component not in use.

You could probably get away with using a good quality DPDT switch, a 75ohm resistor and 3 RCA jacks in a small project box. Wire it up so that the selected input switches to the output, and the unselected input goes to ground through the 75ohm resistor. Reverse in the other switch position. If you need a sketch I can try to do one later.

Commercial offerings I am aware of:

MSB makes the "Digital Director." MSB

Partsexpress has a "Digital Optical Selector Switch", part number 180-980 for less than $20. Partsexpress

Radio Design Labs has an "RU-SPX4 Digital Audio Selector." RU-SPX4

--David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.