Sony CDP-3100 Help (pics of insides) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony CDP-3100 Help (pics of insides)

Hi, I recently purchased a Sony CDP-3100 like this one:

SONY CDP-3100

in nonfunctioning condition. The inside looks clean as does the player as a whole. There are two issues I'm observing:

1: the tray opens but doesn't close unless I coax it. The tray open close motor runs the entire time as I do this.

2: I suppose the bigger problem; once closed, the laser doesn't recognize the disk. Without the disk in and the player open I can observe the laser move and everything appears to my eye, to be operating properly. My hope is I can adjust the laser and fix the issue.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these players or Lasers KSS 272A?

I've posted some pics below and have seen other threads on the topic on this forum however I haven't been able to gather any conclusive suggestions.

Laser block and transport:
Click the image to open in full size.

Dac board:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th February 2013, 09:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Some good news; I did a bit of fiddling and the disk now seems to read as it spins for a moment then stops, tries again, stops, then the no disk text appears again. However, the disk now spins to a degree...

What I did: removed the set screw attached to the spindle which raises and lowers the disk platter. I also put one drop of oil in the gap between the spindle and the motor. One thing I'm observing, as the disk spins it seems quite wobbly. This could be the basis for the disk not being able to read. Can anyone suggest how to fix this issue. Also with regards to adjusting the height of the platter, aside from trial and error, can anyone suggest a proper technique here? Thank you. Happy to post more pics while I have the player open.
Old 4th March 2013, 03:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't know whether u can do it. Refer this thread Sony CD head repairs !!!

By shifting the platter, u have changed the distance from the laser.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 4th March 2013, 07:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I gathered your point about the laser prior to doing it. I'll have a look at that link and hopefully learn a bit. I haven't had time to fiddle more. Bump...
Old 8th March 2013, 01:32 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 8th March 2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The disc should have no observable wobble when looked at edge on and slowly rotated. If it does then the there is a problem with the platter or the spindle motor (bent shaft)

As to the tray motor running. If the you can stall the tray and still hear the motor run then that sounds like a slipping belt. If holding the tray is able to stall the motor then there could be a problem with the microswitches used to detect tray in/out.
Old 8th March 2013, 09:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Laser assy needs to be replaced.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 8th March 2013, 04:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmphadte View Post
Laser assy needs to be replaced.

Gajanan Phadte
How do you know?
Do you know where a replacement KSS272a laser head can be found? Last I saw, a complete mech went for 350 euros, second hand.
Old 8th March 2013, 04:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sonys that clamp the disc by lifting the mech are prone to failure of the lifting mechanism. If the mech doesn't lock home, then it won't play. Most commonly, the disc will be rejected immediately, but in marginal cases it might try to play but not succeed.

The drawer and lifting mechanisms are sometimes related, such that if the drawer struggles, momentum is lost and the lifting mech will likely fail too.

If the lifting mechanism is belt driven, the most likely cause is a stretched or contaminated belt. If gear driven, the correct method of adjusting clearance is generally in the service manual.

If there is a button and sliding sprung boss in the middle of the platter, where the disc sits on the spindle, make sure it's not stuck.
Old 9th March 2013, 02:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Okay. Thank you for the suggestions. On second look, it seems the disk wasn't, rather it was just an unevenness in the printing of the shiny part of the cd -- sorry I'm not more technical in my terminology in that instance. With regards to the drawer, I believe it is the belt slipping and have ordered a new one. That said, I don't really care whether the drawer works or not (for now) -- will make sure not to bump the little blue switches when gently coaxing it back in.

While I don't know whether it is or isn't a dead laser, I'm more inclined to believe it's not the laser and it's a tracking error of some sort. I don't think the motor is damaged (bent spindle as was suggested) in any way though it may not be spinning at proper speed and need some oil.

Does oiling the motor require removing the mechanism? Not a problem if so however if there's an easy way to do it I'd prefer to go that route.

Hide this!Advertise here!