Sony CDP-3100 Help (pics of insides)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hate to dredge this thread back up after the bickering that's going on here. That being said, I hope we're over it and appreciate both of your advice and willingness to help. I've considered all comments and taken some further efforts to repair the machine.

I replaced the belt which fixed the drawer issue but didn't effect the disk read problem. Furthermore playing a disk with the player upside down didn't work though I see how this would make sense given the nature of the transport in this player. It seems the spindle block locks into place as it should.

After adjusting the spindle a bit I found a sweet spot. Here, the disk spins, the player reads "Disk In" then the track number appears. The player can recognize the amount of tracks on a disk however it cant determine the time in each track as it reads -- 00.00.00. Given this, I'm fearful that maybe it is the laser.

Still confused.

You might find that the simple slider on one side of the sled has too much clearance to allow playing upside down.

Adjusting spindle how? For height? Ideally, assuming a spring holds the focus mech at the centre of its movement, the disc height should be set so that the mean voltage across the focus coil is zero when playing. Use scope or analogue meter because of the low frequency. It's possible this corresponds with your "sweet spot".

Missing info from the TOC is mysterious. That data should be no more difficult to read than the rest, so I don't see how its absence can be related to the mech.

The decoder chip is responsible for reading the data from the mech and translating into digital audio and sub-code. The latter is interpreted by a microprocessor and used for control and display purposes. As far as the mech is concerned, there is no difference between one data and another. If the number of tracks can be sent from decoder to display, then how come the track times can't follow the same route?

Are you sure your machine normally shows total track time when the disc is loaded but not playing? Not all do. Is there a key to change display mode to remaining time, rather than elapsed time?

New mech quality is something of an issue. If you change it and it doesn't work, you still won't know whether it's at fault. Do you have access to a 'scope?

Hello, if it is determined that the loading mechanism does not have a problem, are generally KSS-272A fault, I have several CDP-3100, for laser diode new solution, kss-272A I have one, but too far away from you, I am in China.

DSC02000.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.