Battery monitor for TDA1543 DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While building a DAC mainly based on Doede's DDDAC I felt the need for a battery monitor.

I wanted some automatic functions (the most important is power cut-off when the battery is discharged), and ended up with something like this:

Attachments

• battcntrl.jpg
    battcntrl.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 686
The image doesn't show it (why can't I attach the corrected file?), however the DAC supply is taken from the NO contact of the relay.

S2 is used for isolating the battery and for switching off the DAC

S1 turns on the DAC (the relay will latch until Vbatt goes below 10.5V)

The charger provides the supply for relay and leds, if it is missing the battery will power them through D1 (so the DAC can operate without an external supply).

If Vbatt > 11.5V the green led is on, otherwise the yellow one.

When Vbatt goes below 10.5V the relay will turn off; there is no need for hysteresys since the voltage being compared to the 5V reference is taken after the relay contact.

Any comments;) /suggestions:confused: / flaws to spot:smash: ?

Cheers

Andrea

I've made some refinements, maybe useful, maybe not.

Added a red led to signal undervoltage lockout/charge mode, re-wired the yellow led so that it switches off when the power is cut down and moved the pushbutton before the switch S2.

This way is possible to monitor the battery even if S2 is off by pressing S1, and also solved a relay vibration that happened when pressing teh button with S2 off or without the battery inserted.

Please let me know if you find it useful or if it has some flaws.

Cheers

Andrea

Attachments

• battcntrl.jpg
    battcntrl.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 580
Let me know, in case you build it, how it works for you.

Take care not to sink too much current from the output that controls the relay, when I first connected the red led with a 1k5 limiting resistor it pushed the output of the opamp high enough to switch the relay on :xeye:

This is a characteristic of the LM358: it can source almost 20 mA but has problems sinking current :smash:

So you have a battery active x-over...can you tell me something more about it?

Cheers

Andrea

I am afraid I probably won't implement this any time soon due to the many other projects I have stacked up. ;) But someday...

I put together a page on my xo but have never taken the time to draw the schematic! But basically I just stuck a CCS on a JFET and used it as a buffer, cascading 1st and 2nd order filters. I found that +12V and -6V were more than sufficient, so I am using three batteries with Rod Elliot's charger.

http://www.anidian.com/audio/construct/xo_1.shtml

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.