Philips CD104...safe shipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi all

During a random search for Philips cd players to track down parts in an attempt to fix another player of mine that has a Philips transport, I have tripped over a CD104 for next to nothing in working condition except a draw that occasionally needs help closing. I'm hoping that can be fixed with a belt. The machine has been used regularly up until now and is said to play well. I've made arrangements to buy it.

Although I have been through this scenario a few times in the last month in my searches, the machines I have found and bought up until now have been local.

I have purchased new players in the past and some have had pins or similar installed to immobilize the transport/radial arm etc. during shipping. This player, as you probably know, has the CDM 1 transport. I don't know what, if any such devices would have been installed to keep it from being damaged during shipping.

The owner is very cooperative, I don't think he has any original packing materials. We've discussed the packing, but it occurred to me that internal damage could occur during shipping no matter how well it is wrapped and protected.

Anyone with experience as to how I can avoid the unit being damaged by securing any internal transport parts in a simple way? i think he would be able to remove the cover if need be. Thanks in Advance for any advice.

Regards

Kevin

I have had many CD104 / CD304 shipped to me from Europe as well as the UK.

None have had any damage to the CD mechanism as a result.

Just pack well.

I suggest double packing ... one box inside another with a 2" layer (or more) of crumpled newspaper packing between them.

Andy

Joined 2008
Paid Member
thanks

I appreciate the feedback...I was able to get back in touch with the seller and he is familiar enough with the CDM style transports to have already thought of removing the cover on the player and figuring a way to immobilize the radial arm just to be safe. Very nice guy...looked into FedEx packing it, but it would cost an arm and a leg. I don't have much confidence in them anyway. He has intentions of packing with at least 2 inches of bubble wrap and then double boxing. I'll keep my fingers crossed that nothing happens in transit...it was played just this afternoon. I'm already researching suppliers for replacement drawer belts and reading up on modifications. Thanks.

Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.