Using the AD844 as an I/V

- george, was your amplifiers after the AD844 traditional power amp with fair amount of global negative feedback ? This could explain if it started to sound harsh, when to much HF get into the amplifier.

Was your DAC a non OS type ?

Have a nice weekend!
Cheers
Flemming

I use solid state no global feedback just a little local around the input stage.

My cdp is the HDCD PMD200 2 x PCM1704K based Cary 303/200.

Cheers George

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Need to see specific R values that would work, maybe the cap size would need to be too big?

Maybe just figure out the range of DC shift on the output and put a cap there - in which case, just put the pot on the input, the Tz value fixed, then RC on "+" input and null the DC on the output as the 844 has that facility. If you are going to use a Tz cap, then a cap is a cap and maybe if a cap is needed, then put it on the input.

I know it works because I have done it.

Cheers, Joe

I was thinking of using a pot in the traditional sense on Tz rather than a variable impedance. That way you can use a parallel C to set your bandwidth, and ac-couple the wiper to the next stage. The value of the pot will set max output level of the stage.
But your way will also work.

Jan

VCA + AD844?

Hi everybody

I'm looking for an volume control for my pcm1702 based digital crossovers which should also get AD844 based I/V stages.
While searching for attenuator concepts I stumbled across the THAT 2180 VCA chip.This chip is a current-in/current-out device. Might it be possible to insert the THAT 2180 between the pcm1702 and stacked AD844s?

Cheers Bodo

You need to see what input load impedance the 2180 is showing to the output of the 1702 and if it's constant. A stacked pair of 844 will be around 15-20ohms this I believe is the ideal input impedance the 1704/2 likes to see.

Cheers George

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:
Might it be possible to insert the THAT 2180 between the pcm1702 and stacked AD844s?

Possible but not advisable - the VCA isn't going to like handing ultra-wideband signals out of the DAC. It simply doesn't have the bandwidth so will reduce the dynamics, rendering a subsequent AD844 stack rather pointless. VCAs often have SQ issues - Paul Frindle noticed that mixes done on an SSL desk via pots sounded better than those made via VCAs for instance. He evnetually tracked this down to a VCA's group delay varying with signal level I think.

Hi everybody

I'm looking for an volume control for my pcm1702 based digital crossovers which should also get AD844 based I/V stages.
While searching for attenuator concepts I stumbled across the THAT 2180 VCA chip.This chip is a current-in/current-out device. Might it be possible to insert the THAT 2180 between the pcm1702 and stacked AD844s?

Cheers Bodo

Bodo, VCA's generally work best as true current in devices, IOW impedances of 10k or higher. This will minimise distortion of VCA itself. Also the current
swing of 1702 is probably too high at a guess. Further to that, why put a VCA
in the sig path? Most PPL take them out of the path in studios if possible.

Cut to the chase, use some form of grounded base I-V (844?), you can
adjust volume by varying the load resistor.

844 VS Pedja discrete circuit with BUF03

Hi George, Well I am nothing if not slow...... I finally updated my second 1541A S1 crown dac to Cinemag based output filter (Mark II). That puts the 2 dacs in a position for comparison. So with a triple stack of AD844 with BUF03 off the TZ versus discrete Pedja I/V buffered by BUF03 I find they are really quite similar. Over all tonally about the same. I lean slightly toward the Pedja discrete circuit. Without the BUF03 I found the discrete circuit just slightly reticent. Very detailed with a laid back character. I will need more listening time with the Mark II to make any further comments. For anyone wishing to build the discrete version and buffering the output with some sort of buffer just resize the coupling cap and series resistor. One issue I have is that I have + and - 19 VDC for the Pedja however that is way to high for the BUF03. For now I have another power supply powering the BUF03 stage. I will try regulating the + and - 19 VDC down to 12 or 15 VDC rails and see if I really need to add another transformer and regulator board. My system is Magnepan MG 2.5R with custom crossovers. Amp is a "Class D Audio" SDS 470 300 WPC. Preamp is the Nelson Pass BA-3. :)

Coupling cap

Hi George, The cap is in the discrete Pedja circuit with the bipolar transistors. I have a pervasive 11 to 12 mV offset that the 2SK170 nulling circuit can't correct. I may try nulling at the BUF03. My concern is that it might not be stable over time. Guess that is worth checking. This is only valid with the TDA1541A. In the triple stack 844 + BUF03 I am direct coupled with 0.1 mV offset. I am quite happy with that. :) On the discrete I/V + BUF03, I still need to do more listening to really decide which is the winner. They sound more alike then different.....

so after some goose chase i am going back to a second build of ad844 setup. i've tried couple passive>buffer settings and lastly susy opamp>1:1 trafo filter (they were all setup with differential tda1543 setup) but have not been able to recreate the balls to the walls dynamic sound of stacked ad844 setup. oh, also tried sen i/v- truly a remarkable step up but this 844 has that 'something' in the sound that makes you want to listen.

my question is- last time i used both pin 2,3 from +,- signal of dual 1543 to null the dc offset, then eventually ccs from tz pin for class a bias. with class a bias the sound became much more enjoyable, and now am wondering if that setup more or less achieved the crippled 844 state that pedja originally intended.

I have never seen why there should be a need to stack 844s if you do it right - make the current go direct to ground at around 3R and the 50R input will see so little current that stacking is not needed. It will be like stacking 15 x 844s. The level will be lower, just increase gain of 844 on Pin 5, it is low noise, so gain can be increased substantially.

Cheers, Joe

Triple stack VS Discrete Pedja diamond I/V

Hi all, I finally finished the second dac. I spent the last week going back and forth listening. The digital side is for both is.... DIR9001, NPC SM5814 (digital filter), TDA1541A S1 Crown. Both have Cinemag based passive filters. Both are buffered with the AD BUF03. So the difference is down to I/V's. Triple stack: Super powerful. Dynamic. Vocals are clear with a you are there sound. Slightly forward presentation an attribute common with the 1541A. Good details. Sound field comes from a black velvety background. The bass is mighty. Pedja's discrete diamond circuit: Open sound. Sound stage is pushed back a bit. Vocals are clear and articulate. Everything in the mix is easily heard. Sound comes out of nothing. I don't hear the velvety black background at all. Frequency response sounds flat from bass to as high as I can hear. It is a joy to listen to. I can't say it is as seductive as the triple stack. I miss some of the dynamic attack. No clear winner. A matter of taste I'd say. I like them both..... So the question might be which one is high end sounding. Based on what I hear I'd say the discrete circuit has a slight edge. I like how I can hear into the mix. I hear things more clearly. My system for reference is the Magnepan MG2.5R's, Nelson Pass BA-3 pre, Class D Audio SDS470 300 WPC amp. A recording I liked for this test. Roger Waters "Amused to Death" for its holographic sound field and low level sound effects like radio and tv sounds. I also used remastered Beatles, Pink Floyd. Jazz and Blues recordings. So I am expressing an opinion only. Your results could be different. :)

Attachments

• Mark II final 002.jpg
    Mark II final 002.jpg
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 547
I have never seen why there should be a need to stack 844s if you do it right - make the current go direct to ground at around 3R and the 50R input will see so little current that stacking is not needed. It will be like stacking 15 x 844s. The level will be lower, just increase gain of 844 on Pin 5, it is low noise, so gain can be increased substantially.

Cheers, Joe

Joe, go back and read a few more pages around 20 pages ago, it's not just about input impedance being halved with stacking, which was a plus, it also eliminates the 844 going into current saturation on loud passages and transients.

Cheers George