Elso Clock in CDT or DAC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2003, 12:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Elso Clock in CDT or DAC

I am using a Denon DG1050 as a CD transport connecting to a tweaked X-DAC. I plan to install a Elso Clock. Should I only install 1 clock in X-DAC or CDT or both?
Old 15th November 2003, 07:42 AM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Question Re: Elso Clock in CDT or DAC

Quote:
Originally posted by patricklyw
I am using a Denon DG1050 as a CD transport connecting to a tweaked X-DAC. I plan to install a Elso Clock. Should I only install 1 clock in X-DAC or CDT or both?

Hi patricklyw,
Does your X-DAC have a clock?. If so what is the frequency?
Please elaborate. Best to start with clock replacement in the CD player.
Old 16th November 2003, 07:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dear Elso,

The X-DAC has a quartz oscillator 16.9344Hz driving Yamaha YM3623B chip. I think the Denon CD player is also equipped with 16.9344Hz quartz oscillator.

I have changed the dual op amps in the X-DAC to AD826, analog caps to 10uf Elna Cerafine, 2200pf Silver Micas and digital caps to 10uf SC Os-con. I have also change the power caps to Blackgate 1000uf and schoktty diodes too. I want to upgrade the clock in X-DAC so as to realise all the potentials with the tweaked items. Is it the right way?

Or you advise me to change the clock in the Denon player instead?

I do not have the Denon CD player's schematic. Can u advise on which caps to take out. Thanks

Patrick
Old 16th November 2003, 02:12 PM   #4
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool KWAK-CLOCK

Quote:
Originally posted by patricklyw
Dear Elso,

The X-DAC has a quartz oscillator 16.9344Hz driving Yamaha YM3623B chip. I think the Denon CD player is also equipped with 16.9344Hz quartz oscillator.

I have changed the dual op amps in the X-DAC to AD826, analog caps to 10uf Elna Cerafine, 2200pf Silver Micas and digital caps to 10uf SC Os-con. I have also change the power caps to Blackgate 1000uf and schoktty diodes too. I want to upgrade the clock in X-DAC so as to realise all the potentials with the tweaked items. Is it the right way?

Or you advise me to change the clock in the Denon player instead?

I do not have the Denon CD player's schematic. Can u advise on which caps to take out. Thanks

Patrick
Hi Patrick,
I think it is best to change the clock in the Denon (transport).
The clock in the DAC is only used to recognise the frequency and is best switched off thereafter. If I remember right Elector had a scheme to do that.
Personally I would use 2200pF polypropylenes instead of silver mica. I don't have any experience with Cerafines and Oscons so I don't know about that upgrade. Schottky diodes seem OK. You could also try soft or ultrasoft recovery diodes.
To install the clock you have to remove the crystal and the two small caps electrically connected to it. Save the crystal for use in the KWAK-CLOCK.
etc.
Old 17th November 2003, 08:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi. Elso,

Thanks for your advice. I think you refer to Elektor Electronic magazine. Right? Do you have the schematic or link to show how to switch off the clock in the DAC?

What if I change only the DAC clock? Would it not worth the effort? Just wonder the difference between changing the clock in CD transport and the one in the DAC. Could u tell me more?

Thanks

Patrick
Old 11th December 2003, 11:35 PM   #6
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

So Is it in general best to only change the clock in the CD transport, not the External DAC?
Old 11th December 2003, 11:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ryssen: It is better to install a clock in the DAC (where it is needed) and then make the nessescary syncronization of the transport.

Installing a clock in the transport only is an easy way out, but will NOT give you the full benefit of your clock investment. In fact it will not give you much improvement, and therefore is not worth while.
Old 11th December 2003, 11:48 PM   #8
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
It's best to put the good clock in DAC and feed that into the CD transport for use there, also. That way you get a low-jitter S/PDIF signal coming in, and synchronicity between clock domains. In addition you have an excellent word clock source in the DAC where it really matters.
Old 11th December 2003, 11:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

jwb: Right on!
Old 12th December 2003, 04:41 AM   #10
Banned

Default Just one small problem......

The 16.whatever MHz oscillator does not "drive" the '3623. It only serves as source to feed something downstream when there is no signal to lock on.

You do need that clock frequency, but putting a quality clock to the X_in pin of the '3623 will do nothing. You need to feed it directly to the filter chip AND DAC chips.

Jocko

Hide this!Advertise here!