ES9023 DAC design for MiniDSP USBStreamer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2013, 06:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

There are not so many ADC projects here on DIYaudio and also elsewhere. Most ADCs have SPDIF outputs and to get I2S you'd need to tap those signals somewhere on the board. Of course it also depends on your budget.

Probably the best way will be using some eval boards, e.g. PCM4204 Evaluation Module (EVM) - PCM4204EVM - TI Tool Folder 4ch ADC or PCM4222 Evaluation Module (EVM) - PCM4222EVM - TI Tool Folder 2ch ADC. Those are around 150$ each though...

hope this helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixsta View Post
hey, Im very impressed by this! great idea

Im actually wanting to do almost the opposite, the outputs are useful but I need atleast 4 to 10 inputs of analog audio to multitrack record to the PC.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to get USBStreamer set up like that? or anyone else doing this
Old 11th April 2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Hey, Thankyou thats great, am i right in saying if a DAC baord has SPDIF it will have somewhere a I2S signal, or do I have to investigate further to find out.

I am not very knowledgeable on those things but i think id be able to do this
I guess the reason theres not man ADC projects is because nobody realy needs that many inputs unless they are recording bands. or taking inputs to be processed.
Old 11th April 2013, 12:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixsta View Post
Hey, Thankyou thats great, am i right in saying if a DAC baord has SPDIF it will have somewhere a I2S signal, or do I have to investigate further to find out.
Its not that easy It depends on the actual implementation. There are codecs (ICs) with integrated SPDIF transceiver and in this case you wont be able to grap the signals. If there is a dedicated SPDIF transmitter on board (e.g. WM8804) I2S will probably be used to connect ADC and transmitter, however you can still not be sure that the actual configuration fits to the needs of the USBStreamer.

Thus best would indeed be to use the eval boards since they can be configured according to your needs. Or you simply use a multichannel sound card
Old 20th May 2013, 11:00 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post

And finally, a shot from the front. Next step is to design and fabricate a nice metal enclosure for the whole thing to sit in.
Click the image to open in full size.
Love the stacking concept, and the EMI shields, looks very professional

Don't like the optical to I2S bridge, that feels iffy. At least take the 5V SPdif-like signal that feeds the optical module. Those 1-cent LEDs do a horrible job of transferring digital audio. Do you really need channel 9 and 10? Without I2S, it is impossible to keep channel 9 and 10 in sync with the other channels. Which is recipe for disaster for a multi-amp system.

The RCA connectors look very good, do you have a part number for those?

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 20th May 2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Neil_J is offline Neil_J  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit13 View Post
Love the stacking concept, and the EMI shields, looks very professional

Don't like the optical to I2S bridge, that feels iffy. At least take the 5V SPdif-like signal that feeds the optical module. Those 1-cent LEDs do a horrible job of transferring digital audio. Do you really need channel 9 and 10? Without I2S, it is impossible to keep channel 9 and 10 in sync with the other channels. Which is recipe for disaster for a multi-amp system.

The RCA connectors look very good, do you have a part number for those?

Keep up the good work!!!
I'm well aware of that, but luckily, for my application, it does not matter. In my original post on diyma, I explained that the last two channels (the ones that go through the toslink) are for rear channel surround, and are delayed by 20 milliseconds or so, and are therefore not correlated to the other channels. Here's the post from last January that included a system diagram:
DIYMA Car Audio Forum - View Single Post - 2011 MINI Cooper CarPC Build

The RCA connectors were from Parts Express as a buyout, I've no idea if they're still in stock. They didn't have white or black, so I went with blue
Old 27th May 2013, 08:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post
The RCA connectors were from Parts Express as a buyout, I've no idea if they're still in stock. They didn't have white or black, so I went with blue
They still have them in Red, Blue, Green and Yellow. No white or black unfortunately.

But minimum order for the Netherlands is 50 USD, and UPS shipment will be rather expensive...

I've never seen those PCB mount RCA connectors with a thread to bolt them to a chassis, that combo is very nice. Without bolting, the solder pads will be put to a lot of strain each time you pull out a connector.
Old 27th May 2013, 10:15 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Neil_J

Very nice project, impressing work and compact design.
Could you tell us more about your "EMI fence" ?
Does someone have some feedback about using this kind of "Faraday cage" ?
Thanks

Phil
Old 28th May 2013, 02:21 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben69 View Post
Hi Neil_J

Very nice project, impressing work and compact design.
Could you tell us more about your "EMI fence" ?
Does someone have some feedback about using this kind of "Faraday cage" ?
Thanks

Phil
You'll find them inside cell phones, radar detectors, GPS receivers, and any other device which needs a really low noise floor. You can buy them from Digikey, they're actually pretty cheap as long as you buy the super small ones like I did (custom ones will have a high non-recurring upfront cost for tooling and such). There are tons and tons of books and articles about EMI mitigation out there, I'm certainly not an expert but tried to use the "basics" in this design: solid ground plane on the bottom, liberal use of guard traces, lots of attention to routing for shortest trace lengths, using series resistors on the high-speed clock lines to prevent RF reflection, careful power supply design (e.g. "borrowing" proven designs already out there), and of course shielding the crap out of it. If you consider that most software radio transmitters have a final digital to analog stage (often called a DUC or digital upconverter), then you'll realize I'm not the first to try out these design techniques. But I may be the first to try it with an audiophile DAC, at least in the DIY community. Yea it might be overkill but what's the harm in that?
Old 28th May 2013, 02:23 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbit13 View Post
They still have them in Red, Blue, Green and Yellow. No white or black unfortunately.

But minimum order for the Netherlands is 50 USD, and UPS shipment will be rather expensive...

I've never seen those PCB mount RCA connectors with a thread to bolt them to a chassis, that combo is very nice. Without bolting, the solder pads will be put to a lot of strain each time you pull out a connector.
I had an error on my first run of boards where the RCA connectors were back too far to be able to panel mount. And furthermore, I've not found the hex nuts to screw them on yet (although I've not looked around that much, or even measured the threads).
Old 1st November 2013, 06:53 PM   #20
alexmi is offline alexmi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default alive

Hello Neil, is the project still alive ? I would be interested in 3 boards (6 channels) for a system that does crossover in the computer (BruteFIR) and uses a USBstreamer to output the 6 channels.

Thanks, alex

Hide this!Advertise here!