Onkyo DX-7333 CD player sometimes doesn't recognize CDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A problem with the focus bias... but you were able to adjust that "normally" in that I assume the best level was achievable without the pot being one-ended.

You have to go with the pickup being faulty.

Your assumption is right, the "biggest" and sharpest eye pattern was obtained with the pot only a little bit to left from the centre position.
The pickup is in stock, so it shouldn't take long.

It took some time, but the new pickup finally arrived, today I had some time to install it.
Eye patter is now 1,0-1,2V and it plays all CDs and CDRs, even the problematic ones.
On CD-RWs it reads the TOC, after pressing play, it tries but seem not to be able to read, it tries to focus, move the sled, change the RPM of the disk and then gives up.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So the new pickup has brought the RF up to spec. Thats good and in itself proves there was an issue with the old pickup.

CD-RW's are fundamantally different to CD-R and do have a much lower "reflectivity" (if that's even the right word for CD-R and CD-RW).

If the player should by design play CD-RW, and its written in the specs for the player that it should, then there may be small print saying that not all CDR's and RW's will playable... get out clause no 1 :)

I would definitely try another CD-RW disc and maybe of a different brand recorded on another burner and maybe at different speed... higher can often be better contrary to what you generally read.

Another possibility is that the pickup is not fully compliant or up to spec... it happens. I don't know exactly what you ordered but generic parts are cheap, manufacturers originals are not... just a thought. If the player is aligned correctly then its probably as good as its going to be with that pickup.

If the player should by design play CD-RW, and its written in the specs for the player that it should, then there may be small print saying that not all CDR's and RW's will playable... get out clause no 1 :)

That's the problem. I wasn't able to find, if the player officially supports CD-RW or not. In the user manual and the service manual is no mention even of CD-R.
On the Onkyo website also nothing.
I have found on various forums, that some users mention it plays CD-RWs but not good, some say it doesn't.

I would definitely try another CD-RW disc and maybe of a different brand recorded on another burner and maybe at different speed... higher can often be better contrary to what you generally read.

I've tried 4 different brands burned with various speeds on two different burners. Some were better, some worse (faster/slower reading of TOC) but none of them played.

Another possibility is that the pickup is not fully compliant or up to spec... it happens. I don't know exactly what you ordered but generic parts are cheap, manufacturers originals are not...

On the website (it's an authorized service center and original parts seller of many brands in my country), I bought it, was "manufacturer: SONY" and it wasn't cheap, so I hope it's original.

The CD-RW feature would be a "nice to have" but I think I'll be happy with it as it is :)

Thank you for your help.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think if it were CD-RW compatible then it would say in the user manual. Most players are CD-R compatible, even first generation ones. If you look at the RF on a CD-RW though, you'll find its way down in amplitude compared to CD and CDR. So I would say all is well.

It sounds like the genuine part if it was bought as a Sony :)

Read CDR, CDRW

It took some time, but the new pickup finally arrived, today I had some time to install it.
Eye patter is now 1,0-1,2V and it plays all CDs and CDRs, even the problematic ones.
On CD-RWs it reads the TOC, after pressing play, it tries but seem not to be able to read, it tries to focus, move the sled, change the RPM of the disk and then gives up.

Nice to have your DX-7333 back to work. In general, audio CD players do not play CD-RW unless stated in the user manual / Spec as CDR & CD-RW are quite different in data format/spec.
There are threads telling when audio CDP are used to read CDR, the life-span is shorten because the Lasers have to use more power to read the signals on CDR than pressed CD.

p.s. For me, I use (cheap) DVD player to read DVD-R storing folders of .wav and pass it to external DAC before feeding preamp. My new DAC is SMSL 1955+, work very good even compared with DX-7711- which is dedicated for pressed CD.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pickups such as these run at a constant laser power that is unaffected by the reflectivity of the disc. The optical power is measured by photodiode integrally mounted on the same die as the laser.

CD-RW drives do adjust the burn power when initially burning a disc to suit each disc.

In general, audio CD players do not play CD-RW unless stated in the user manual / Spec as CDR & CD-RW are quite different in data format/spec.

As already said - it would nice to have. I was thinking there is a good chance, because my Yamaha CDX-497 uses the same laser pickup and plays CD-RWs without a problem.

p.s. For me, I use (cheap) DVD player to read DVD-R storing folders of .wav and pass it to external DAC before feeding preamp. My new DAC is SMSL 1955+, work very good even compared with DX-7711- which is dedicated for pressed CD.

I was trying to use a DVD player and several "media tanks" (Popcorn, Xtreamer, WD TV) as a transport with an external DAC (Arcam rLink), but they are hard/impossible to navigate without a TV.

My idea with the DX-7333 was to fix it and try to fit a this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...2496-ak4393-dac-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a.html in.

gmphadte said:
Some color(coating) CD-RWs are never read by some drives. I had a problem with one particular colored ones. Try some other color.

All CD-RWs I have tried are "silver" (Acer, TEAC, TDK, Verbatim) and all of them play without a problem in the Yamaha CDX-497 and a cheapo portable.

Pickups such as these run at a constant laser power that is unaffected by the reflectivity of the disc. The optical power is measured by photodiode integrally mounted on the same die as the laser.

CD-RW drives do adjust the burn power when initially burning a disc to suit each disc.

The eye patter when reading the TOC of a CR-RW was very low, 0,2V if I remember correctly. I was surprised it was even able to focus and read the TOC.

Looking for Onkyo parts

Gentlemen, I am jumping in on your thread as you have made reference to the Onkyo DX 7911. I am currently restoring mine as a fisthanded individual somewhere in its life has caused me to search out a replacement laser chassis assembly part number 24802023. To date I have had no luck tracking down NOS or a parts donor machine. I am under the impression that this part was also used in the 7711 as well. Any help in locating one would be greatly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.