Best way to eliminate DC voltage at my DAC output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum, seemed like the best spot.

My dac (not a diy, actual production dac), has about 25millivolts DC at it's output and after passing through the voltage gain of my amp (hypex ncore400) I end up with 500mVDC at my speaker output. This translates into lots of pop when sometimes stopping music playback, powering down amps, adjusting volume or muting. I was just wondering what would be the best way to remove this DC before it gets to my amp without hurting the sound quality.

Thanks

I am hesitant to tamper with anything made by people who know what they are doing, especially when it is under warranty for 3 years :)

I actually just did some more tests since some of my setup recently changed.

The dac is actually outputting closer to 50millivolts DC now. I was previously using the built in attenuator on the dac, now I have a preamp so it is set to bypass and the full voltage out of the dac has resulted in more DC as well. Fortunately now, it seems my preamp takes care of the DC, the resulting DC output at my speaker outputs is now only 200millivolts at maximum attenuation of the preamp, at regular listening levels it is only like 20mV

I'm afraid to ask but what would be a good cap?
Was looking at the mundorf supreme silver/oil or silver/gold/oil/etc but they seem a little rich for my blood, especially since i'm running balanced and need 4, so I started looking at the regular mundorf supremes which aren't bad at $18.90 a piece.
Then there are the other mundorf MKP M caps (white with red writing), only $3 each.

The regular Supremes are the way to go. They are two standard poly capacitors combined together to cancel inductance. The Silver/Oil has a little more treble emphasis, but I think the regular Supremes are more neutral. ClarityCap MR is another excellent option.

The dac is actually outputting closer to 50millivolts DC now. I was previously using the built in attenuator on the dac, now I have a preamp so it is set to bypass and the full voltage out of the dac has resulted in more DC as well. Fortunately now, it seems my preamp takes care of the DC, the resulting DC output at my speaker outputs is now only 200millivolts at maximum attenuation of the preamp, at regular listening levels it is only like 20mV

50mV of offset is outright defective in my view. Your preamp is being used effectively as an attenuator, so this explains the reduction of DC as well as AC at normal listening levels. Still, not listing your equipment when asking for advice is wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.