LUXMAN CDP D-111

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Firstly, test CD's. These are essentially just red book standard (such as a normal CD) discs that are guaranteed to conform to tight tolerances such as thickness, reflectivity, runout etc. Any normal good disc will give identical results. NEVER use a CDR or RW as these are fundamentally different and have poor reflectivity.

What you do need is an oscilloscope. Thats essential for any investigation work.

The adjustments. VCO... DONT TOUCH.

The other adjustments, well you might find some practical hints in this recent thread of mine where I detailed setting up a player with the actual scope shots. The adjustments and procedures apply universally across different makes and models.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/226288-sony-cdp790-kss240-restoration-project.html

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Normally (in many players) the VCO (voltage controlled oscillator) is set with a frequency counter. Its used by the servo to enable the data (which varies a little in speed because of mechanical reasons) coming off the disc to be locked to an internal crystal reference.

The VCO has a pull in range. If its a preset then setting to the middle of the two extremes that the player loses lock at is close enough. Some VCO's use an adjustable coil rather than a resistor. Its an adjustment that should never need altering.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is there any benefit in using very high slew rate op amps on the output of DAC (like video op amps)?

Definitely not :) Opamps for video are generally current rather than voltage feedback and would require a total redesign. In any case they are just not really suitable.

Far better to look at what is fitted and look at possible replacement with other audio devices. If the NE5532 or LM833 is used then I would suggest the OPA2134 or OPA2604 .

See also,
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think the idea behind parallel dacs is to "improve" linearity and resolution and so on at low levels. Dacs that need external I/V conversion nearly always feed into an opamp because that allows the closest approach to what is needed, a true current to voltage conversion. The current levels we are talking about are tiny.

I have a D-111 that has been in storage for quite some time. When I fired it up yesterday, the CD tray would not open. I hear the motor, but the tray will not extend.
Any ideas of something a "non-techie" like me can do? As has been noted above, it is a good sounding unit. I hate to scrap it.
El Clark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.