advice converting DAT music to CD-R - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2003, 06:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default advice converting DAT music to CD-R

I have a Sony TCD-D3 DAT with the digital IO module (RMR-D3) that provides S/PDIF, optical, and analog outputs. I have about a dozen tapes worth of music that I would like to convert to CD format. My current (crappy) sound card has only analog inputs. I would like to transfer the music from DAT to my PC and then to CD-R, keeping the signal in the digital domain the entire way. I assume the Sony TCD-D3 has recorded the music at 48 kHz sampling rate.

I believe I can do this with either Creative's Audigy or Extigy by using the S/PDIF ports, but I wonder whether anyone has had success doing this, or has a better suggestion.

Can anyone point me to reference sites for more info?

Thanks all,
David
Old 12th November 2003, 08:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

You need a S/PDIF in card. Several good and affordable cards that do not resample are available from M-Audio (under $100) but there are others. The TCD3 only records at 32 kHz and 48 kHz (except for digital CD copies through a S/PDIF link). So your recordings are most likely 48 kHz. For storing on CD you need to resample it to 44.1 kHz. You can best use a good program that does this for you and not an audio card that resample.

Shareware that can do this (and much more) is available here:

http://www.goldwave.com/

Cheers
Old 12th November 2003, 09:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank Pjotr,

goldwave looks like just the software I'll need.

I looked at the m-wave site and found *lots* of equipment, but I didn't see much below $250. Do you have any models in mind for s/pdif cards under $100? If you know a model number or could suggest a family, it would help me narrow down the search amongst their many products.

I did find the Delta DIO 2496 ($249 new) and it looks like what you're talking about -- perhaps I should look for it second hand.

Thanks
Old 13th November 2003, 08:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Look here:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/transit/

But it is only optical S/PDIF in. Optical will suffice since for your purpose jitter is not an issue. I am myself using the Audiophile-2496 (streetprice around $150) with a coax link to my TCD3. I have seen lower prices on E-Bay.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!