CD Transport Options - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2012, 01:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CD Transport Options

Hello, I need some advice for my Digital source.

I am in the process of building a DAC (ebay kit with Dario's mod bom). Plus GC and possibly the o2 headphone amp.

The plan was to use a CD Transport for the input to the DAC via Toslink module.

Initially the CD was going come from my micro system (Aiwa something) which has Toslink OP.

I have just been out and seen the following CD players and wanted to know if anyone would be better suited:

Denon DNC-100 (Optical out and inbuild headphone amp) 35
Technics SL-PG-480 (Only line out) 20
Kenwood DPF-2030 (Optical output) 20

Which would be the best option, for my setup. I am assuming that there is not much difference when taking digital and putting it into a DAC?

I was thinking about getting one of these and rehousing it, or possible putting the DAC inside. (This is particularly pertinent for the Technics as there must be a digital feed in there somewhere!)

Is anyone worth spending the cash on or should I just stick with the Aiwa as my source?

Many thanks.
Old 27th December 2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default get ye a Sony Playstation (original greystation)

SCHP-100X for your region. New transports are available through the 2nd market ("jobber") suppliers. A pretty nice cd player on it's own, just a little "clunky" in the UI department (or find a kid or little brother or someone who has one working and buy it, and a couple of laser/mechanism assemblies.

With a few mods can better a lot more expensive transport /DAC combos.As is has a Toslink output (at least the ones I have). Search for the Sony Playstation as cd player thread here at diyaudio. Can be modded for digital output. 75Ω coaxial output is better than Toslink.

The Playstations were built to take abuse. Also consider a computer cd-ROM or DVD drive (also consider non-Bluray DVD players).
Old 28th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response, I was also looking at the CD ROM solutions.

Just thought that one of the options listed above might be a steal for realtively small amount of cash.

Interesting that Toslink is not as good as I would have thought, as it's optical it does not suffer from noise. Obviously it needs to be converted, but what is the other downside?

Cheers.
Old 30th December 2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

early Toslink suffered from some quality issues and apparently jitter problems that create noise in the system (look here). Good fiber optic cables must be used (glass fiber preferred). The transceivers are much better now and more reliable. If cables have been bent or rolled up too tightly they can be damaged.

So as a minimum to ensure a good Toslink signal, modern transceivers are needed (so current production is most likely OK), as are higher quality cables, (again most modern cables should be suitable, but seek out cables with a known construction material) and cables that have not been bent or rolled up too tightly.

Sometimes we have no choice regarding having to use Toslink or not. Many components now automatically provide Toslink without S/PDIF, but the signal itself is essentially S/PDIF. You can always add an RCA output and convert the output prior to the Toslink encoder. (you may have to pad down the signal to lower voltage before the RCA output (coax). I'd have to chase down the actual voltages.
Old 30th December 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'll stick with Toslink and see how it goes.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!