DCx2496 question for using the DAC and Xover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DCx2496 question for using the DAC and Xover

Hey smartguys, wondering if this is possible (this may seem quite obvious, but I haven't experimented much with my DCX)...

Digital out of Computer to DCX (input A set to AES), analog out of DCX output 1 and 2 (full range), to preamp in, out of preamp to DCX Input B and C, out of DCX Output 3 - left low, 4 - left hi, 5 right low, 6 right hi, to biamp to speakers.

Is this loopback possible? Locking the analog input B and C (and not A) specifically to output 3, 4, 5 and 6, while Digital in on A locked to full range out of 1 and 2??

I currently have no need to do anything more than bi-amp...

Long story, but I want to utilize the DAC in the DCX, and its Xover capabilities...as I do not have another dac at the moment

Last edited by john65b; 23rd December 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Not possible, as far as I know. When the digital input is active, the analog inputs are not.
Never seen a way to run it otherwise. Why the looping? Just for volume control? You can do that in your player.
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:59 PM   #3
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just for volume control? You can do that in your player.
Yes, just for Analog Volume Control...If I do it through my computer I am cutting bits out, no??

I just looked at my DCX and you are correct...no way of doing it...either analog or digital inputs not both...damn, thought I had an elegant solution....
Old 24th December 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

In addition to the above, Input C is special purpose and can not be used for your purposes.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Input C can actually be routed where you want it, but it isn't on at the same time as the digital input.

Losing bits is not a problem. If you are worried about it, then use a player that does its math in 32 or 64 bit float, then outputs in 24bit. You'll have no problem at all. This is what I do and find no problems whatsoever in listening or measuring. A slight loss of S/N ratio, that's all. But the digital S/N ratio is so high, you'll never hear a little loss. It's generally cleaner than analog volume control.

Hide this!Advertise here!