California Audio Lab CD Player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 07:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default California Audio Lab CD Player

Recently got this CAL Tercet CD player from my friend. It sounds better in every respects than my other players - CAL DX-1 and Denon DCD1520. Took off its cover and found that it uses Philips TDA1541 DAC in the ouput and CM2 as the transport. Tried searching the internet for more info on this model but without results, except from a DAC/Transport List that says it uses TDA1541A (in fact it is TDA1541) as well as CM2. Other available info are all on Tercet MkII or III. This Tercet "Waveshaping" player looks like the first model of the Tercet series. Anyone has any experience/knowledge in/with this player or can point me to where relevant info is available? Thanks for your help in advance. Pics of this Tercet are as shown.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by patknk939; 23rd December 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Because of hiccups when attaching pics in my original thread, the pics are re-attached here:

[IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

it is a normal cd471 from philips (100% sure), but with I/V thru better opamps + tube buffers and the i2s lines are reclocked (not sure, but seems like it).
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

TDA1541 is my favourite too, I have never heard the A model tho so I cannot critisize.

I wonder though if the non-A does sound better though.

Last edited by freax; 23rd December 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!