Gripping CDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CD-player turntables are often coated with some high-friction compound so they can grip the CD better. Sometimes the coating is gritty, sometimes not.

The gritty kind in particular seems to wear down to a smooth surface, leading to slipping on start-up and braking. Eventually this can get bad enough so the player gives up trying.

Increasing pressure on the puck is not an acceptable or effective solution.

Anyone know what the stuff is, where I can get some, or any ideas about what can be done? Not much seems to stick to it, so I guess it may be a silicon rubber compound?

I tried a thin layer of silicon gasket, but it doesn't cure properly. Works OK for a while, then fills the player with crumbs.

you coud try 3 -4 small bits of electrical tape (pvc) on your CD platter. This will provide grip and also a little bit of compliance at the interface of the two parts. Of you like the results you can clean off the tape adhesive and use a little contact to permanently fix the bits of tape into place as the tape adhesive is not much use in this situation. Top quality electrical tape like 3M os rather thick at about 5 thou and cheap tape is likely better at about 2.5 - 3 thou thick so get the cheapest stuff you can find for this application. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks. Works for start, but not very well for stop, so it'll probably wear out quickly. This particular machine is a Sony with a swing-up mech, magnetic puck, and a sprung peg in the middle of the spindle. Quite a complicated balance of forces, and clearance seems to be critical.

Tried a ring of duct tape that nearly works but it's too thick so there's not enough magnetic force.

Thinking of tape, I dimly remember using thin silicon rubber tape on rollers for feeding plastic sheets into a printing machine. Maybe I can beg a couple of inches from a print shop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.