Yamaha CDX-590 laser adjustments? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
HWTest is offline HWTest  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha CDX-590 laser adjustments?

I have a Yamaha CDX-590 CD player and it skips on some CDs - original CDs, these CDs play without problems on my other CD players.
I have changed the laser unit (KSS-210A) but this didn't solve the problem.
When I turn the player upside down, it plays the problematic CDs without a problem.
That's why I think the laser needs adjustment.
I have only a service manual for the CDX-493/593 but they should be very similar to the CDX-590.
It seems that the adjustments are done via "test mode" of the CDX-590, unfortunately there is not much information, how to exactly, in the service manual.
Here is a picture of the PCB.
http://www.volny.cz/hwtest/PCB.JPG
Here are the "test mode" sections of the service manual.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
In "test mode" I have tried Auto adjustment mode 1, 2, 3, but I don't know if it should work fully automatic without any intervention or when the mode is finished and I can proceed to the next one? Should I press STOP between the modes, what CD should I use?
So I activated mode 1, waited a while, activated mode 2, waited a while, activated mode 3, then exited test mode.
It didn't help much.
Mode 1 - only a short blink of two horizontal dashes on the display and thats it
Mode 2 - started "play" without sound from some time, after a while it skips to another time, "plays" a while, then skips again and "plays" and so on, I left it about an hour and it was still going on
Mode 3 - seems to be very short as mode 1
I think I'm missing something ...
I bought this player new and it was not heavy used.

Maybe someone did this or even serviced Yamahas in an official service and can provide information how to adjust the laser?
Or maybe the problem is not the laser?
Old 20th December 2012, 06:00 PM   #2
WAR415 is offline WAR415  United States
diyAudio Member

Try checking the plater motor for wear if there is any side to side play or if its difficult to turn then the motor needs to be replaced. Also check the clamp arm bearing which presses down on the cd and plater. If it uses a bearing it can make a permanent indented wear mark to the plastic surface causing it to skip. I'm not sure what the CDX-590 uses for its clamp arm and plater motor or what it looks like. Some high end units use a magnetic puck instead of a bearing and spring application for securing the disc. Hope this helps a little.
Old 20th December 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
WAR415 is offline WAR415  United States
diyAudio Member

From looking at a few pictures it uses a magnetic puck so there is no bearing being used here. I have several transports of this type and have not seen one with a worn motor but its still possible. If you do any adjustments to the trimmers make sure you mark them and be very careful of static discharge since this will destroy a laser easily. You should use a grounded wrist strap when working around the laser pick-up anyway.
Old 20th December 2012, 07:57 PM   #4
HWTest is offline HWTest  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your suggestions.
I'll take some pictures of the transport, next time I have disassembled it.
I don't want to rule out the motor, but the player was used only occasionally, so I don't think it should be worn out.
There are no trimmers on the PCB, only on the laser pickup - I don't want to mess with that one.
The laser to my knowledge is somehow "auto adjusted" in "test mode" but I don't know the exact procedure.

Hide this!Advertise here!