DF1704 with the Sony transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for a 16.9344MHz master clock and sample rate (fs) of 44.1kHz, the DF1704 should automatically go into 384fs mode. I don't know what format the input I2S bus signals will be, but chances are good that it'll be the standard Sony format shown on the DF1704 datasheet here:

http://www-s.ti.com/sc/ds/df1704.pdf

You should be able to set all these modes without a micom, just by pulling the appropriate pins high or low, and putting the chip in Hardware mode.

hope that helps...

the input data will likely be 16 bit for CD-DA. you can set the output word width to match the DAC (20 bit for the PCM1702).

There is a difference between the I2S *bus* and I2S *data format*. Almost all digital audio chips are connected with the I2S bus, which just defines the wires. The format of the data being sent over the I2S bus may be in any of several formats. As you can see from the datasheet, only one of the data formats for the DF1704 is I2S. So, test the other formats to see if they work. I would start with the Sony format setting.

Is the Sony a dedicated transport or a CD player you plan to use as a transport. If it is a transport what ic generates the digital output and if it is a CD player wnat chip is used for the dac.
Knowing the answer to the above would make helping you easier.
Meanwhile, referring to page 7 of the DF1704 datasheet.
4A. 16,20 & 24bit Sony/BB format. If I had to guess what format you should use I would go with 16 bit Sony/BB.
An i2s bus with the Sony/BB format like having coffee flavoured tea. The i2s bus IS the i2s format. It is a proprietary standard for transmitting digital audio data developed by Philips. The spec is available on the philips website.
As for the output to the PCM1702 dacs assuming you will be running the DF1704 from the 16.9344 MHz clock then you need to use the 20 bit option of Fig 6B on page 8. as 16.9344 = 384Fs

ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.