Marantz cd-52 clocking question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2003, 12:43 AM   #1
moemoe is offline moemoe  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Singapore
Question Marantz cd-52 clocking question

Hi All,

I recently purchased a used Marantz CD52 unit with the intention to mod it and implement my own non-os DAC module with direct i2s input from the SAA7310GP.

Interesting enough, while tracing the wirings of the SAA7310GP I found that the xtal_in (pin 26) is not connected to any crystal oscillator! The PCB layout is rather intricate and without any service manual on hand, you can imagine it's a tough job trying to put all the pieces together. In any case, I did find a crystall oscillator but it is only connected to the stock DAC chip (SAA7350GP); there's no trace from the DAC XSYS1 pin back to the SAA7310GP.

In case you are wondering about the layout, the DAC chip is connected to a NPC SM5840FP digital filter for up-sampling purpose and it in turn is connected to the micro-controller and the SAA7310GP.

Qn1: The music reporduction of this unit is fine. That seems to imply that it is not necessary for the SAA7310 chip to have have clock input or sync. But...how can this be the case? I mean, surely the SAA7310 chip must need to know when to clock the data out to the Digital Filter/DAC, right?

Qn2: for my mod, I intent to re-use the crystall oscillator and implement the Kwak Clock with clock input to the SAA7310. However, I'm not sure whether this may screw things up. I doubt so but would like some confirmation from the guys who have done mod on Marantz CD52 or with in-depth knowledge of the SAA7310.

Thank you in advance for your help on the above!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 08:49 AM   #2
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member
 
Bricolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grenoble, FR
Hi,


Does your CD-52 have 2 PCBs? One for the PS/Controller/Decoder and another for the Filter/DAC/Output Stage?
If yes, it certainly looks like my CD-62. I don't have the service manual for it (if anyone has, please tell me!) but I made some schematics myself by looking at the traces.

If you don't find the datasheets for the ICs in your player, tell me, I'll send you them


Alex
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 09:08 AM   #3
moemoe is offline moemoe  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Singapore
Hi Bricolo,

No, the CD52 has only one PCB for all the components. Thanks for your offer on the datasheets. I have the datasheets for the SAA7530 and SAA7310 but not the SM5840FP. If you have it, will appreciate if you email it to me.

Thanks,
Moe
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 09:37 AM   #4
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Zamboanga, City of Flowers, Mindanao
Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Default Re: Marantz cd-52 clocking question

Quote:
Originally posted by moemoe
Hi All,

I recently purchased a used Marantz CD52 unit with the intention to mod it and implement my own non-os DAC module with direct i2s input from the SAA7310GP.

Interesting enough, while tracing the wirings of the SAA7310GP I found that the xtal_in (pin 26) is not connected to any crystal oscillator! The PCB layout is rather intricate and without any service manual on hand, you can imagine it's a tough job trying to put all the pieces together. In any case, I did find a crystall oscillator but it is only connected to the stock DAC chip (SAA7350GP); there's no trace from the DAC XSYS1 pin back to the SAA7310GP.

In case you are wondering about the layout, the DAC chip is connected to a NPC SM5840FP digital filter for up-sampling purpose and it in turn is connected to the micro-controller and the SAA7310GP.

Qn1: The music reporduction of this unit is fine. That seems to imply that it is not necessary for the SAA7310 chip to have have clock input or sync. But...how can this be the case? I mean, surely the SAA7310 chip must need to know when to clock the data out to the Digital Filter/DAC, right?

Qn2: for my mod, I intent to re-use the crystall oscillator and implement the Kwak Clock with clock input to the SAA7310. However, I'm not sure whether this may screw things up. I doubt so but would like some confirmation from the guys who have done mod on Marantz CD52 or with in-depth knowledge of the SAA7310.

Thank you in advance for your help on the above!
Hi moemoe,
The original crystal was probably connected to the SAA7350.
So you have to connect the KWAK-CLOCK here too!
From there the clock is further linked to the digital filter and digital signal processor.
Just remove the crystal, the two small caps connected to it and the 100k or 1M resistor.
See fig. 12 of the datasheet:
http://www.ultranalog.com/data/frits/saa7350_bw.pdf
BTW instructions for the CD52 are also on www.lcaudio.dk
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 10:04 AM   #5
moemoe is offline moemoe  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Singapore
Hi Elso,

"The original crystal was probably connected to the SAA7350.
So you have to connect the KWAK-CLOCK here too!"

Yes, the crystal is directly connected to the SAA7350. I was able to trace the wirings with the help of the SAA7350 datasheet. However, since I'm going to use my own TDA1541-based non-os DAC, I was thinking of connecting the Kwak Clock straight to the SAA7310. One good reason of doing that, I think, is because I would like to input the clock signal directly to the SAA7310 instead of subjecting it to potential noise as it winds its way along the PCB from the SAA7350 to wherever it's supposed to go.


"From there the clock is further linked to the digital filter and digital signal processor."

No such luck...I look at the layout a few times and there's just no clock input back to the digital filter and the SAA7310. The XTAL_in pin of the SAA7310 is left opened and not linked. The XSYS1 pin of SAA7350 is also left opened and not linked. Frankly, I myself is quite puzzled by this. The only explanation I can think of is that there's a internal VXO inside the SAA7350 that's doing the clocking and synchronisation (at least the datasheet seems to imply this)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 11:05 AM   #6
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member
 
guido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: diepe zuiden
It is possible to remove the DAC and digital filter and connect the clock direct to the SAA7310. Did once myself when i removed a 7220 dig filter from a player (clock was connected to the 7220, as usual).

However, the xtal needs to be the 11.xx MHz xtal found in those old philips based players.

I cannot imagine that there is nothing connected to pen 26 (unless the 7310 is a DIP version and it is pen 19).

Regards,GuidoB
__________________
GuidoB
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 11:34 AM   #7
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member
 
Bricolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grenoble, FR
take a multimeter and test if the the 7310's pin 26 (Xtal1 or clock input) is connected to the digital filter's clock output (not to the cristal! look at the filter's datasheet, it certainly has a buffered clock output)


In my CD-62, the 7310's pin 26 seems to be unconnected, but in fact it is, and the PCB trace is under the chip, so not visible
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 02:59 PM   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Zamboanga, City of Flowers, Mindanao
Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Cool Kwak-Clock Connection

Quote:
Originally posted by moemoe
Hi Elso,

"The original crystal was probably connected to the SAA7350.
So you have to connect the KWAK-CLOCK here too!"

Yes, the crystal is directly connected to the SAA7350. I was able to trace the wirings with the help of the SAA7350 datasheet. However, since I'm going to use my own TDA1541-based non-os DAC, I was thinking of connecting the Kwak Clock straight to the SAA7310. One good reason of doing that, I think, is because I would like to input the clock signal directly to the SAA7310 instead of subjecting it to potential noise as it winds its way along the PCB from the SAA7350 to wherever it's supposed to go.


"From there the clock is further linked to the digital filter and digital signal processor."

No such luck...I look at the layout a few times and there's just no clock input back to the digital filter and the SAA7310. The XTAL_in pin of the SAA7310 is left opened and not linked. The XSYS1 pin of SAA7350 is also left opened and not linked. Frankly, I myself is quite puzzled by this. The only explanation I can think of is that there's a internal VXO inside the SAA7350 that's doing the clocking and synchronisation (at least the datasheet seems to imply this)
Hi Moemoe,
No problem connecting the clock directly to the SAA7310. See the SAA7310 datasheet, if you are using your own DAC TDA1541 NON-OS.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 03:04 PM   #9
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member
 
Bricolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Grenoble, FR
Elso, what will happen if he doesn't mod his player for NOS-OS, and connects the new clock to the decoser rather than to the DAC ?

The filter and DAC won't have any 11Mhz clock anymore.

The TDA1541A don't need one, but the 7322 and 7350 do
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2003, 03:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
jean-paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany
moemoe, datasheet of SM5840 can be found here:

http://www.npcamerica.com/discontinued_part_list.htm

Quote:
Just remove the crystal, the two small caps connected to it and the 100k or 1M resistor.
That must be a mistake Elso. I would leave the 100k or 1M in place The 1k must be omitted. Had some nasty side-effects when the resistor from Xin to Xout wasn't there.
__________________
It's only audio. Official member of the Norske Brillegeit Gang.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clocking an ADC (just a technical question) TobWen Digital Source 1 1st March 2008 07:36 PM
DAC clocking (stupid?) question darian Digital Source 2 21st September 2007 07:50 AM
Question for Guido or Kuei on power supply caps in re-clocking circuits georgehifi Digital Source 1 24th April 2005 09:09 AM
Re-clocking a must? Peter K Digital Source 41 23rd February 2005 02:56 PM
clocking the dac kozak Digital Source 0 25th May 2004 12:27 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2