Output to my amp is not clean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

I am really sorry if I posting this in the wrong section. I hope Computer sound cards fall under digital source of sound subject.

I got a Creative sound card and it's next to my graphics card and it seems like it's receiving a lot of noise from it. Just recently got myself a Lepai T2020A+ amp BUT when not playing anything I am getting a lot of noise coming out, hissing, crackling and high pitched noise, it gets much worse when I turn the sound up.

If I unplug the 3.5mm audio cable form my PC the noise stops, and plugging it in to my phone does not produce such noise at all. So I can assume it's not the amps fault.

To test further I tried to play a game and I got bunch of horrible sounds so I think my graphics card it creating a lot of noise that my sound card is picking up. What's the best way to battle this issue?

Thank you :)

They can, but I would guess your problem is more serious than what could be fixed that way. I may very well be wrong about that; EMI/RFI is complicated stuff even for experts, which puts me at the "Golly, gee" level.

Looking at asus forum I found this:
| The PCIe x16_2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot | I think i will send the motherboard to shop , im already sick of these problems created.

So I am not sure if it's the same case for my motharboard as my PCIe x16 GPU and PCIe x1 Sound card are sharing same bus

Ferrite beads will reduce RF interference. They will have no direct effect on audio signals, but RF can affect audio indirectly. Poor grounding is probably more likely.

How would I check if it's poor grounding?

- Placed the sound card to another slot, NO help
- Changed Graphics card with anther one, NO help

I think it's my motherboard, because when I play games I got this coil whine like sound. At first I thought it was graphics card but after testing with few of them i got same results. I also tried different PSU's but no luck.

Well just to make sure I tested the system with a Laptop and my Dads PC all worked fine no noise.

I tried the on board sound chip on my PC but still noise :(

BUT what's really interesting is that I plunged the audio cable into front audio jack and i'm getting the white noise still but no crackling, the funny thing is that front audio jack is not plugged in anywhere :S

So to finally test this I touched the random bolt on my case and bam same noise as coming from the sound card. I am confused why the case is making same noise and my sound card????

What could this mean?

Hi .
You will find most noise on the ground. it is shared by all the psu rails in your pc. a lot of noise also raditaes form your display monitor and also the cable transmitting the signal to it . Just moving cables around can make a big diffrence .. Best move i made was to get away from internal cards and bought a lowish cost M audio fastrack. It is a usb sound card The sound is much better than any creative labs stuff i have listened to .. Ps i use an external PSU to power my soud card, i have also fitted a 10 Ohm resistor in series with the ground connection to the computer.

Also the internal grounding of A typical box style PC is a night mare .. The case of the Psu is grounded this is in electrical contact with the pc enclosure all internal drives are connected also electrically to the case. the metal brackets that the I/O cards . Then they are all connected to ground by a wire too . and external issues too not forgetting the big ground loop that is created by your display monitor in fact any external device that is connected to the pc that uses saftey ground is a potential ground loop problem.. A Soddin Nightmare lol

Also the internal grounding of A typical box style PC is a night mare .. The case of the Psu is grounded this is in electrical contact with the pc enclosure all internal drives are connected also electrically to the case. the metal brackets that the I/O cards . Then they are all connected to ground by a wire too . and external issues too not forgetting the big ground loop that is created by your display monitor in fact any external device that is connected to the pc that uses saftey ground is a potential ground loop problem.. A Soddin Nightmare lol

Well my dads PC doesn't seem to have that issue, so I think that either my power supply or motherboard are misbehaving. My case is all painted black and paint does not help to conduct current, because if i touch any of the bolts on my PC case with the audio cable I do get the similar noise as plugging in to my sound card and internal sound card on the motherboard as well as disconnected front case audio jacks.

I will try a different power supply today as see if that helps if not I'll take out everything out of my case and run motherboard, PSU and the rest on my bed to see if it's my motherboards or power supplies fault.

I assume there is no easy way to test if my case if properly grounded?

some pcs don have the issue some do . some amplifeirs also seem prone to the problem. i have tried PsU i have tried isolating ground loops within pc i have tried filters isoating transformers ferite rings all have some or no effect. a lot of noise from PC is in the Radio frequency range and a little RFi supresion on the input of your amplifier may help.. I suggest a lot of experimenting Also check your findings as you will find what works in one situation may make it worse in another . also try moving internal cables around in PC. This problem Can be a PITA.

Regards Mark

Ok i got my hands on the volt meter and tried to measure resistance between the earth pin on the power cable and various points on my PC, seems like the grounding to my case works well enough with almost no resistance. I tried the screws on the PSU, the case and sound card plate. What points could i measure on my motherboard to test?

So have you made any progress.?? no point in measuring the grounds you will not find the problem there.. This problem is not just with your computer it is quite a common occurance with lots of Pc,s The best solution i found was external sound card ... i dont think i can be anymore help to you . i have given lots of imformation but you seem stuck on measuring grounds

So have you made any progress.?? no point in measuring the grounds you will not find the problem there.. This problem is not just with your computer it is quite a common occurance with lots of Pc,s The best solution i found was external sound card ... i dont think i can be anymore help to you . i have given lots of imformation but you seem stuck on measuring grounds

I really appreciate your help don't get me wrong :) I am just trying out all the easy solutions and fixes, I just want to be 100% sure it's not the grounding issue.

Months before the amp and speakers and I had an issue where my pc would make a coil whine like sound still does. Every time I would open a game it would emit this high pitch noise and I had no idea where it came from(Tried different PSU, Graphics card nothing helped). With amp and new speakers when I open a game it seems to output that noise to the speakers as well now.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.