marantz cd 10.......scematics. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2003, 09:10 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only the very well sounding models stay in my mind
jean-paul, in this case it's not about sound - but the very fine box and drive/loader.....i will rebuild this player to higher standards....
but if you get the chance, try to have a look inside this thing - it's perfect.....and i almost got it for free......

thanks guido, the clock is connected to the filter so i'll need a clock connected to the decoder when i remove the "analog" pcb....

there is a npc filter followed by the saa7350+tda1547 combination and then a 5532 + 2 x 5534 opa's.
doesn't the tda1547 have voltage out....?

you too should have a look inside side this player - forget the older phillips/marantz models - this on is much better.......
Old 10th November 2003, 10:26 AM   #12
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

A CD10 almost for free... Mmm, you should mail me your source!
Guess you were v lucky. I could use something like that (CD11,CD16,whatever). My best player is a stock (for now) CD60 , which is plastic, but nice anyway and already TDA1541.

The second dig filter is for making the 1 bit 'bitstream' data (so the TDA1547 does not receive I2S). Do a search here, there is a post with this. You only need the decoder.

The 1547 is voltage out, but they used the opamps for filtering and to go from a differential to single-ended signal. Maybe there is a diff output too. Dont mind about the 5534's, the 1547 seems to have them inside too (as i read somewhere on the net). So upgrading the 5534's would not bring so much.

Greetings,

GuidoB
Old 10th November 2003, 10:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
you too should have a look inside side this player - forget the older phillips/marantz models - this one is much better.......
What I was trying to make clear is that I *know* this cdplayer from inside but I forgot what chipset it has apart from TDA1547. As I already said it has a very similar approach as CD80. BTW I always take a look in every cdplayer I mod But I tend not to remember all things about them.

I won't forget the older philips/marantz cdplayers as they can sound a lot better than CD10, even when modded. Build quality not always correlates with sound quality. The ( unmodded ) cheap plastic TDA15xx boxes can sound very well, most of the time they are better than Teac VRDS 10 for example.
Old 10th November 2003, 12:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I won't forget the older philips/marantz cdplayers as they can sound a lot better than CD10
hey, i know that - but what i meant was that the builtquality in this newer player and its brothers - the cd11, cd14, cd15 and cd16 (perhaps others too) makes it ideal as base for a "deluxe-mod".....and i know that the tda1547 sucks in most ways and it will leave my cd10 in a few days, later to be substituted with the tda1541as1......
as you can see i'm only using the very nice box and the drive/loader.....

i paid euro 135......and it's as new and untouched....
Old 10th November 2003, 02:07 PM   #15
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Few years ago (ca. 10) I did some modifications on a friend's Marantz CD10. It's very well built player with cast metal CDM transport (I think it was CDM9pro) and DAC7 chipset. It had NPC digital filter and two TDA1547 dacs and there were many opamps (5532 and 5534) in analog part and it had capacitor coupled outputs.
At the time I did some mechanical mods (bitumen sheets etc.), changed PS diodes for fast/soft recovery, AD827 & AD847 instead 5532/4, and installed servo loop to get rid of coupling caps (maybe I did something else but can't remember any more).
It did play a bit better than stock unit
Old 10th November 2003, 03:20 PM   #16
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vuki
Few years ago (ca. 10) I did some modifications on a friend's Marantz CD10. It's very well built player with cast metal CDM transport (I think it was CDM9pro) and ...
According to the prospect of that time it's CDM-4MD. A metal CDM4 i guess. Should not make much difference.

GuidoB
Old 10th November 2003, 04:30 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Should not make much difference
oh but it does dear guido - just like a woman......i'm in love with my new toy, just what i needed for the winter.....
Old 10th November 2003, 05:48 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Did you compare plastic and diecast CDM 4 mechanics ?
Old 10th November 2003, 07:23 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you compare plastic and diecast
sure....she love both.....
Old 11th November 2003, 06:31 PM   #20
i-s is offline i-s  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in any info too. I was looking at buying a CD10, but have now just acquired a CD16 instead (same transport mech, same DAC, HDAM output stage, slightly lighter build due to lack of cast iron sides). However, my mods are going to concentrate on making it a transport, as I have an offboard DAC (which is also being modified until I can afford that wadia (which will also get modded )). Obviously clocking, AES/EBU output, etc...

Hide this!Advertise here!