Kenwood DP-4020 CD Player woes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I have an older Kenwood DP-4020 in quite nice shape. At least I think it is worth saving. It is producing static (yes, static) mixed in with the music.
This is not a hum or buzz, but random static - like a poorly tuned radio station.

I have replaced the output op-amp, but no improvement.

Is anyone out there familliar with this player or maybe has a service manual?
For that matter, has anyone come across this symptom in a CDP?

Help, as allways, is deeply appreciated :)

Jess

I have never seen a PCM1700 dac chip go bad in any way, but there is a first time for everything. Otherwise, if the static seems to follow disc rotation speed, it is almost certainly either a platter motor bogging down, or a bad error correction RAM chip. If it's entirely random, and not the dac, it would most likely be a bad signal proc chip. The other possibility, not at all remote, is that there are electrolytic caps dying in the sig proc &/or dac areas, or in supply.

Thanks Stephen. with so many possibles, I am thinking that the way to trace this puppy is to record a simple sine wave onto a CD and then start working backward from the output jacks to the DAC. That is, if it is being generated in the audio stages.

Is it even possible for noise of this type to be generated somewhere in the digital circuitry?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Stephens suggestions above are sound.

Also if the signal from the pickup is marginal then it is possible to get this effect. Does the problem alter at all if the player is stood on end/upside down while playing ? If so then the problem could well be mechanical/pickup related.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.