Yamaha RX-V367

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping I put this in the best section.

I just bought a broken RX-V367 with the intention of fixing it and maybe learning a little something along the way.

The receiver powers up, I hear multiple relays closing which to me suggests no problems with the power amps. The remote works, menus work and everything appears to operate.

However, so far I cannot get any sound from any outputs including the headphone jack. I have reset the receiver to factory defaults and no improvement.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next step should be? I'm assuming I need to scope it out but I'm a bit clueless as to how these modern receivers are laid out. I'm assuming the preamp section is a little fancier than a 1970s pioneer.

I have exactly the same issue that thetube0a3 (above) has, and while I am an engineer, it is mechanical, not electrical.... so I am asking for help please.
My unit I have had since new - 12 years (?)
Symptoms are exactly the same, so I figure it is a known issue, by those more knowledgeable than I.

The receiver powers up, I hear multiple relays closing which to me suggests no problems with the power amps. The remote works, menus work and everything appears to operate.

However, so far I cannot get any sound from any outputs including the headphone jack. I have reset the receiver to factory defaults and no improvement.

I also noted that the display was faded (Not full light power - approx 50 - 70%, with slight fluctuation) and that the unit switched OFF after a minute or so.

I put power tester to transformer and similar power paths, and power seemed to be where you would think it should be.
Fuses = OK.

The problem seems to be progressive - On first time failure (1 month earlier) I removed the covers of the amp, allowed it to cool, blew it out with compressed air, let it sit for a day, and it worked again.
But failed in same way with same symptoms - So systematic problem?
Dry joint somewhere?
I viewed the PCB's with a high level magnifying glass but could not find anything obvious.
I used to be a telecommunications technician a long time ago, (so have some competence here) but nothing I can see.

Help please!
You guys will be far more proficient than I am, but I do love a challenge....

Thanks for any input. (Pun?)
JK

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Moved to solid state forum.

I've a vague recollection some Yamaha receivers used a switching type supply and that there is a cap that fails... can't really remember much more but if this does use such a supply then its a distinct possibility.

It won't be the common cap issue

Dull display is common on these units, not related to the fault though

Do you have a little speaker pattern display come up on any of the sound-modes?

If not the DSP chip on the digital board is no good, only repair is replace the digital pcb

To confirm enter service mode and check DSP firmware and checksum, if no value faulty digital board is confirmed

Thank you very much, dp, M & MH.
I found the manual as per Max's direction and next is to execute deapool's instructions on checksum.
I will look up how to enter service mode and run the checksum, but if you happened to post an instruction, I wouldn't be adverse to that either!

Assuming that a digital board is required, would you have any suggestions on how to procure one?
Is it as easy as contacting Yamaha Service (I'm used to cars & motorbikes...) and handing over some cash?
eBAY?
diyAudio forum members?

Again, many thanks.

Enter diagnostic mode by pressing TONE CONTROL and STRAIGHT Keys, while holding these keys down, hit the power button. The amp should stay in diagnostic mode unless of a serious fault. First thing displayed is the protection history (if any), typically something like,
NO PROTECT or PS PRT:nnn or DC PRT:nnn make a note of what's displayed including any digits/numbers "nnn". Page 30 of the manual explains how to navigate through the various menus.

I assume you have tried both analogue and digital sources to rule out "dsp" as a cause.

Firstly, thanks for accepting me into this forum - Much appreciated.

Secondary - AM (analog) did not operate, so thanks for that check notice.

Thirdly (If that is a word) when I reset the unit (Internet advice) and then set the amp on AM radio (Thanks mbz) I had nothing speaker-wise... so I went and had a beer.... and forgot about the unit for 20 minutes.... then an uninvited blast came out of the speakers without provocation - static noise. (No AM antenna)
So I went for TV/Stereo (AV1) connect, and things are as they should be - Perfect operation.
(Display says "PCM" currently as I sit here....?)
So.... I know from my engine (Vehicle Mechanical Engineering) history of problem identification and evaluation and solution identification/resolution, I am basically F@#$D, as I don't understand the root cause.

Happy in the short term, as I have guests this weekend, but I know it will fail again.
I'll live with this until it fails again, and I'm sure it will, but your advice is well received and welcomed so much.
I did say I liked a challenge, and this might prove to be one of those issues that do challenge you. Or me, as it might be..... but I will surely involve you guys (gals) as I am out of my depth here.
Today, it worked out by your directions, so thanks BIG time.
JK

Oh great, these are also affected by TI DSPs with premature aging then? Onkyo had a lot of fun with that. Yup, sure looks like a TI custom job, D70YE101BRFP266. No replacement part available, says the service manual.

Looks like every single source is A/D converted and run through the DSP.

A dim display may have causes as simple as bad solder joints on the transformer or the VFD itself.

Can you elaborate for me on what a TI DSP is, please?
(A/D converted I get, but....)
Something similar to these.
Digital signal processor - Wikipedia

These chips usually contain both the actual DSP and a "normal" (typically ARM architecture) CPU. The latter will generate the UI / overlay, the former is responsible for all the data stream decoding, digital crossover, DSP room effects etc.

DSPs have been a part of consumer electronics since the mid-late '90s at least. The Motorola 56K architecture was popular for a long time, in fact there's one of their DSPs to be found in my old '97 vintage ProLogic receiver, and my very first MP3 player from 2005 was using a 56K core internally as well.

Modern chip design allows sort of a building blocks technique. Manufacturers can roll their own complex ICs and include whole pre-defined blocks that have been developed separately. Logic cores, regulators, PLLs, audio amplifiers, what have you. (The SoC in a single chip MP3 player like the venerable Sansa Clip+ is a good example. And that was 10 years ago.) Of course this is all within the limits of a given process, so you probably won't be able to integrate both high-speed low-voltage digital circuitry and high-voltage (>5.5 V) bipolar opamps at the same time. But this is how mobile phone manufacturers roll their own custom chips while licensing ARM cores for them.
I imagine this unit is in the bin from what you say, when it ceases to work again?
Pity - I liked it....
Due to the intermittent nature of the fault, I'm still not convinced it's the DSP. Sounds more like a bad solder joint in something power supply related tbh (transformer, regulators etc.). More often than not, complex systems are brought down by simple faults.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.