diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Digital Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/)
-   -   CD63KI problems - please help (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/224442-cd63ki-problems-please-help.html)

nuryev 27th November 2012 03:40 PM

CD63KI problems - please help

Hi
I have a problem with a modified CD63KI. It seems to read discs ok but halfway through a track it will stop producing sound (other than popping or cracking sounds). The cd still spins and displays timer progress.

Then after about 10 minutes sound would return, then it would skip or play for faster for a few minutes then produce no sound and this will go on until the end of the cd.

Any advice on where to start will be appreciated.

Mooly 27th November 2012 06:21 PM

Might be worth dripping (not squirting) a tiny bit of freezer spray onto any suspect chips. If they are under the PCB then just cool the PCB surface as that will still cool the chip instantly.

nuryev 28th November 2012 02:47 PM

So I should power up the player until the symptoms start then use the freezer spray on chips? Is there an order to which chips should be prioritised?

Mooly 28th November 2012 04:35 PM

Yes, wait until the player is in the faulty state and then drip the freezer. It's possible to dispense the freezer literally one drop at a time with practice. There's no specific order but perhaps start with the large signal processing and DAC chips.

nuryev 2nd December 2012 04:43 AM

Freezer spray

I have tried freezer spray on all the chips and other components - no improvement. However, I have noticed that if I press any of buttons eg ffwd, back, next track, pause then it plays as normal again for a few minutes.

Mooly 2nd December 2012 06:34 AM

Do you mean that the above buttons do what they should (for ex jumping to the nexr track) and then the player commences to play again OK or that the action of pressure on the buttons causes the player to work ?

The bottom line with this is that you need to put a scope on it and start by looking at the RF and seeing what is going on. You say its been modified too so there are a lot of possibilities for problems.

nuryev 2nd December 2012 06:44 AM

It appears that the buttons do both:
1) they do what they should ie fwd, back, pause, stop etc.

but if depressed while the machine is in 'fault mode' ie no sound;
then any of the buttons marked << or >> or pressing pause twice will get the specific track to fwd or backtrack or pause and then play as normal.
I hope that makes sense.

Mooly 2nd December 2012 06:56 AM

I can't think of anything specific. One possiblility could be that the "tracking" is marginal and the player is right on the edge as it were. If the quality/amplitude of the RF is low then the same thing can occur. When you do something drastic like a track jump then it manages to lock for a while.

It could even be something like the laser pickup but without detailed tests and checks its all guesswork.

nuryev 2nd December 2012 07:16 AM

I have a Velleman 5mhz battery powered, hand held 'scope will charge it up and see if it is suitable to start with. I have taken the player apart and inspected pcb for and dry solder joints, also checked connectivity between pins on SM5872BS chip and pcb/components no problems there.

Mooly 2nd December 2012 07:27 AM

Not sure if that will be up to the job tbh but you might be able to compare readings to see if any deterioration in RF quality is occuring.

If you do a google image search for "cd player eye pattern" you'll see many examples.