CD63KI problems - please help - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2012, 02:22 PM   #41
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I've never had a problem with iso. Its what I use. Use a small brush and give them a good scrub. Don't pull the worm gear off the motor but use lint free paper etc to get all grease out of the spiral.
Old 14th December 2012, 04:22 PM   #42
nuryev is offline nuryev  Australia
diyAudio Member

Now that I have it all dismantled I will clean it thoroughly. I still haven't received the Dow Corning lubricant yet. So I will have to wait then lubricate and assemble. I will use sparingly though.
Old 14th December 2012, 04:25 PM   #43
diyAudio Moderator

You can reassemble without grease to try it. Some even recommend leaving it like that although I wouldn't personally. The grease can be applied later (use very sparingly on the gears and a tiny smear on the friction points on the rail and the frame that the other side of the pickup "rubs along" on)
Old 17th December 2012, 02:46 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
I have completely dismantled, inspected and cleaned rails and gear(s) on the laser mechanism. While there, i did a comparison with parts of a spare cd63. There are subtle differences with the 63ki having the laser mounted on a steel rail held in place on each end by two slip-in plastic lugs. There are also what looks like pieces of nylon or plastic tube (dampers) on each end of the steel rail. The cd63 simply has the rail placed into the plastic body with a philips screw locking it down. Here is what I tried:
- swapped laser drive motors - problem persists
- swapped mounting body and inspected and reseated mounting rubbers - no change
- last resort was to try my CD67 MkII in the CD63KI - no read, no toc, just 'disc'

The only thing I haven't tried is adjusting the laser.
Replacing the laser mechanism with a new one may be the last resort.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:28 AM   #45
diyAudio Moderator

Its beginning to seem that way. I think we've covered all possibilities on this one.
Old 17th December 2012, 12:17 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Default to add to my problems...

Tried adjusting the laser no change at all - instead, I now have lost power to display. Player does not power up at switch on - but power supply to clock mod is ok. Checked fuses, OK.

Checked 7805 at Q811 and no power at all at legs of regulator

Old 17th December 2012, 12:24 PM   #47
diyAudio Moderator

You've zapped something, probably just a low value fusible resistor or CP (circuit protector that look like a T092 package transistor with two leads).

Just trace pin 1 on the 7805 back to the PSU. Should be easy to find what has gone open circuit.
Old 19th December 2012, 02:14 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Default slipped up..

I 'blew' FH10 and FH11, fortunately I have a box of them in my spare parts bin - replaced both and cdp is active again with full display. I need to be extra careful in future.

Moving on to the laser testing:
I tried something different this time, playing a few seconds of every track on a cd - ie - track 1 fwd to track2 all the way to track 12. I found that every track was read by the laser and played. However, if any track was left to play to the end - invariably audio would cut out. The longer the track was left to play the shorter the time it took to cut out. Track 1 would take up to 15 minutes of uninterrupted audio thereafter audio would cut out. After resuming play audio would cut out after 3 to 5 minutes.

The service manual schematic identifies 3 beams active in the laser. Is it possible for one of the beams to fail? Which would explain why the cd is being read, and the TOC is displayed as is the timer etc on the display.

Is it possible that one of the three beams is responsible for transfer of digital to audio signals and that is the one that is on it's way out?

OR does the laser work on a all or nothing principal?

Kindly excuse my 'untrained logic' in trying to make sense of the problem.
Old 19th December 2012, 05:48 PM   #49
diyAudio Moderator

Bet your relieved it was just a couple of fuses

The three beam pickup derives all the "beams" from a single laser diode by splitting the light with a diffraction grating. Although the laser diode won't cause a problem with individual "beams" the photo diode array that the light makes its way back to after being reflected off the CD can suffer with problems.

I honestly don't know what to suggest. I think your getting to the stage where you have to try a new pickup.

My approach now would be a dual beam scope, one channel to monitor the RF and the other to look at the DC drive to the sled. If that showed nothing I would start to look and check everything. DC rails to all the IC's, again looked at on a scope. We've covered all the basics and not fixed it so now any fault finding has to get much more involved looking at what changes when this fault appears.

You might be lucky and find a new pickup fixes it but without really detailed tests I wouldn't guarantee it...
Old 19th December 2012, 07:32 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

The three beams are derived optically from a single laser diode. An array of photodiodes picks up the reflected light. Several centre-beam pds, in your case three, are are AC-coupled in parallel to form the signal which, after amplification with the HF amp, becomes the data signal to the decoder chip. That data signal is the one that should appear as an eye pattern on a scope. Those three pd signals also go to the TDA1301 servo processor, together with two others that I assume follow the other two beams. All the control signals for the mechanism are derived from sum-and-difference hocus-pocus comparing the signals from the various pds.

So, most of the functionality of the head can be observed in the eye pattern, which is why it's such an important indicator. Without a scope, it won't be easy to tell which of the various devices involved is misbehaving.

When you say that the audio cuts out, do you mean that the player continues to track the disk? Does the display show progress through the disk as if it were playing

The varying times before audio is lost suggests the problem may be temperature related.

There's a diagram (with one more pd than yours) and lots of info here:

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives

Hide this!Advertise here!